Talk

Advanced search

Woould you go back to work even if it made you no better off ??

(57 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 16:33:55

Have seen a job i'd love to apply for, Health care assistant in the child assesment centre at the local hospital, 20 hours a week.

Thing is, I have a feeling that once childcare is taken into account i'd probably only be as well off as I am now. Now at the mo the thought of that doesn't bother me as I feel like I need to do something before I go nuts, but would I feel like that after a hard day at work when I still couldn't afford a take away ??

Any opinion gratefully recieved.

BadHair Sun 21-May-06 16:40:55

How long will you be paying for childcare for - is your child coming up to school age, or nursery-voucher age? If you're working for nothing for only for a few months then it's probably worth it, but for longer then probably not.

Personally I wouldn't work for nothing, I would want to see something at the end of it.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 16:42:55

Ds is 3.5, starts school sept 07. He currently gets 12.5 hours a week free at nursery.

I have to older kids though and may need to pay for before school care but if not certainly holiday care.

me23 Sun 21-May-06 16:43:15

hi im in a kind of similar situation as you and i say go for it! if it is something u think you woul;d enjoy,
I have recently got a job with the nhs and once childcare plus housing benefit and council tax have been adjusted i won't be that much better off, but at least I'll be getting out there doing something i will enjoy. I am getting cabin fever at home I need to do something with myself as well as being a mother, also remeber you can work you're way up in your job and get more money eventually, I feel I am starting on my career path with this job and I'll have to slog it out a bit money wise but I feel the rewards albeit not financial but personal outweigh my reasons for not working.
I hope this helps x

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 16:46:11

Ahh you recently got the hearing screening job didn't you ?

I think i'd probably just about break even tbh which like I say at the mo doesn't bother me as I feel like i have to do something because I am so fed up of doing nothing. It's just a bit scary.

Am going to ring and ask for more info about the hours tommorow as it says they are flexible so that might help childcare wise.

They are willing to train to so I would be able to do my nvq 2 and 3.

BadHair Sun 21-May-06 16:48:40

If your income is fairly low you could claim the Childcare element of Child Tax Credits or whatever they're called now. And Working Tax Credit. And possibly Income Support.

BadHair Sun 21-May-06 16:49:28

Ah, if you're training you might get free or subsidised childcare through the college.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 16:49:53

Yep thats right Badhair and i'd get help with rent and council tax too.

Am definatly going to apply i think.

HappyMumof2 Sun 21-May-06 16:52:58

Message withdrawn

me23 Sun 21-May-06 16:53:45

yeah It was me! I'm very excited about starting although I've just found out I'm pregnant again so will only be working for around 6 months before maternity leave!
I understand what you are saying aboutwanting to do something that's why I applied I neveractually thought I would get the job though, so I had to start thinking about the practilcalities afterwards.
The nhs is good with training people up it would be great for you to get your nvqs.
go with your heart! I know money is important but your contenment is more so imo!
Some people are happy not to work and be on benefits which is fine, but tbh I cant wait to start working and making my way in the work force!
Do what you feel willmake you the happiest.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 17:08:24

Exactly, i think i need to do it to get myself back into the real world.

TBH I'd be very surprised if I actually got the job really as I have next to no experiance of work at all but I'll give it my best shot.

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 17:10:49

I wouldn't.

Sorry, I wouldn't work unless I absolutely had to. It's a major juggling act and you're always shattered.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 17:11:49

Even if it would (hopefully) improve your confidence and self esteem expat ??

Twiglett Sun 21-May-06 17:15:21

I wouldn't TBH

I think with the stress you'd feel at work and juggling childcare you'd start to resent the impact on your life

PanicPants Sun 21-May-06 17:16:13

Try it and see. I guess you won't know until you've actually done it.

Personnally if I didn't absolutely have to I wouldn't. I HAVE to go back full time in September as I applied for p/t but was turned down. Really miffed as dp and I juggled lots of financial balls to enable us to afford me going p/t.
We prob could just manage if I didn't go back at all but there would be no extras at all, not even the odd take away, no clothes no holidays not even branded food. So I feel I HAVE to go back, so I've decided to give it a go until Christmas and see how i feel. If it's a bad as I think thenI will be a SAHM, but at least I'll have given it ago.

I'm praying that I'll love it, and ds will love staying with my sister and the childminder half a week each.
You never know, miracles do happen!!

HappyMumof2 Sun 21-May-06 17:19:41

Message withdrawn

LadyTophamHatt Sun 21-May-06 17:20:28

No, I wouldn't nutty.

I can't believe anyone would be less stressed with parenting if the had less time to do the parenting because they were working IYSWIM.

It would have to make me better off to do it.

me23 Sun 21-May-06 17:20:57

don't worry nutcracker i had only one job before and that was a casual job, the most important thing is to show passion for what you are doing.

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 17:22:01

I've NEVER needed work to improve my self-esteem or confidence. And that's a good thing, too, b/c none of the jobs I've ever had would have been good for that.

HappyMumof2 Sun 21-May-06 17:23:03

Message withdrawn

me23 Sun 21-May-06 17:23:10

agree happymumof2, easier to say if you have a hubby who works that you would rather not work,
but living off benefits and.or aswell asbeing on your own doeshave an impact after a while.

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 17:26:01

i don't have a hubby who is a big earner. he only works part-time b/c we could not afford to eat w/o his job and we cannot afford childcare.

it sucks. there's no WAY i'd do this if i didn't have to.

i'm f*cking knackered all the time and i feel like i'm never fully organised despite all my best efforts.

also feel like i don't see my kids enough.

HappyMumof2 Sun 21-May-06 17:29:35

Message withdrawn

puff Sun 21-May-06 17:31:01

I'd think about it carefully, because of the training you would be given which could lead to other things, if you are considering developing a career in the future.

nutcracker Sun 21-May-06 18:41:59

That is one of the reasons it appeals puff as I could get into nursing with the NVQ 3 and the job experiance.

I am going to ring up and query the hours first and then decide what to do. If it were for example 9.30 - 1.30 then that couldn't really be anymore perfect but I'll see.

If it meant I were worse off financially then I def won't do it as I already struggle, but if it meant I was in much the same position as now then I think I have to at least give it a go. I could always leave it it didn't work out, but i think i'd regret not even trying.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: