Talk

Advanced search

How do you cope financially as a lone parent.

(5 Posts)
TwoCrazyKids Sun 12-May-13 16:09:19

I am on the verge of splitting with dp. I have two children, and I am a full time student. I don't know how I will cope but I don't know how much more I can take of this relationship sad

queenofthepirates Sun 12-May-13 17:59:16

tax credits
I work part time
I sell haberdashery via ebay and my own little concession in a shop
I teach in the evenings from home
Coupon clipping!

It will be okay, give Gingerbread a call to see what you're entitled to if you split and have the kids with you.

Piemother Sun 12-May-13 18:00:04

You need a tax credit quote pronto. Also you are entitled to housing benefit if you study full time. You may also qualify for a hardship grant from the uni. grin

Fleecyslippers Sun 12-May-13 18:22:31

I work four days a week and also qualify for tax credits and working tax credits.
I budget really carefully, meal plan etc. I've reduced my car costs by buying a smaller car and work as many overtime shifts as I can.
It's not easy but it's a hell of a lot easier than living with a abusive arsehole who used to 'allow' me to have a little portion of my wages if he decided I deserved them hmm

PurpleThing Sun 12-May-13 18:43:50

Yes contact your uni. Often these things are first come, first served so get in now for next years fund.

Students don't pay Council tax either I think? Other benefits depend how old your dc are.

And yes coupons, buying reduced / sale / charity shop / local FB selling pages. It helps if you have storage space to put stuff away when you see it for a good price eg winter pjs in the sale for next size up or board games they will like in a year or two. Freeze food so you don't think Fuck it and get a takeaway when you are exhausted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now