Advanced search

Advice needed please

(4 Posts)
gooders2274 Tue 07-May-13 22:39:33

My 14 yo son is dyspraxic, has problems with co-ordination, writing, tying laces, using cutlery etc and cleaning himself (hence lots of dirty washing!), he has behaviour problems and has also just been refered to CAMS for depression and panic attacks.

Every day is a struggle, getting him to school, problems with behaviour at school, not doing his homework, not turning up for detentions etc (I seem to get emails, letters and phone calls every week over something or another) and the school has tried getting him to see the school psychologist which he refuses.

My 8 yo daughter who otherwise is a model child is currently being tested for dyslexia ( which explains the amount of time we spend on reading and homework each week)

I am a single mum working from home self employed and to be honest I am really starting to struggle with day to day keeping up with working and care of 2 kids on my own. (Dad has been out of the picture for around 6 years)

I dont want to be a strain on society and start claiming every benefit going but I'm wondering if there is any help for someone like me to lighten the load? Anything would be welcome TBH.

I work approx 30 hours a week as well as being full time mum and pay a lot of rent and council tax each month on a privately rented property, i dont claim any benefit other than tax credits and am getting to the point where I'm not sure what to do to make life easier and more comfortable for me and my kids.

My mum has telling me for so many years to keep things private and not seek advice in case my kids are 'labelled' but I am now at the point where I feel I need to possibly get some help as things seem to be harder the older they get.

Is there anyone in the same or similar situation that could give me some advice please?

fergoose Tue 07-May-13 22:43:13

you may be entitled to housing & council tax benefit too.

cestlavielife Tue 07-May-13 23:01:33

Without a label your dc and you won't get the help you need. So unless your mother is going to be there day I day out then get the labels . You might be able to claim dla for your son as it sounds like he needs a lot of care compared to typical fourteen year old ?

Apply for it if they grant it you entitled to it it is as simple as that.

channy54321 Fri 10-May-13 01:59:34

it you don't get any help for your son and you,just because you don't want him to have a label I think it's unfair, been through the same ,my daughter is now 14 ,only got diagnosed with autism last year and all the time I was struggling to get her to school whilst I was getting ready for work was bloody hard,im now her carer smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: