Talk

Advanced search

Help after a recent c section-does anyone know where to go

(14 Posts)
Floramay Tue 07-May-13 17:37:39

I am a new by to this sort of thing...forums. So please bare with me

My relationship broke down, the day I left the hospital with my new baby daughter I moved into my new house with my 2 sons under 5 and just had a planned c section.

My family live abroad and could only visit but not stay, I am alone and could do with support helping with house work, school runs or even a pamper does anyone know if there is any help for women who are lone parents and can't drive for six weeks but need to take my son to school, would love to hear back.

It has made me stronger but could do with some help, hope someone replies...thankyou for reading

acceptableinthe80s Tue 07-May-13 17:47:28

Hi Flora, didn't want to read and run. Can you afford to hire help? That would be the best solution if you can, i'm not sure about agencies or anything but i see lots of ads on gumtree for mothers helpers.
Failing that do you have any friends nearby who could help out?
Could the children's father do the school run?
Maybe ask your health visitor for advice, they may know of any help available locally. Sorry i don't really have any more advice but i do know how hard raising a newborn alone is. Maybe try local toddler groups, lots of childminders attend them and they'll have local knowledge.
Congratulations on your baby daughter flowers.

mumblechum1 Tue 07-May-13 17:50:44

Get in touch with Barnardo's. I'm a family support worker (voluntary), and this is exactly the sort of thing they do.

mumblechum1 Tue 07-May-13 17:51:25

I'm a family support worker (voluntary), With Barnardo's, obviously.

Floramay Tue 07-May-13 17:53:19

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Father only abuses me unfortunately but not anymore as I am free. His family and I are not speaking now which is a positive thing for me the children are very happy and stable.

Lost my friends over my relationship, won't leave and go back to ireland because my children are settled one in school and happy.

Moved into new house so don't know neighbours so pretty alone but will speak to social services...single mum of 3 cannot afford home help....but thankyou again will listen to your advice...flora

Floramay Tue 07-May-13 17:54:58

Thank you heard of Barnados but never knew what they did will get in touch.

nancerama Tue 07-May-13 17:57:58

Have a chat with your health visitor and ask for a Homestart referral. Homestart volunteers will come to your house to give you a helping hand with the children or housework.

mumblechum1 Tue 07-May-13 18:02:31

yy Homestart/Barnardo's volunteer do exactly the same thing.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 07-May-13 18:33:35

Whereabouts are you?
Yy to ask health visitor, keep trying if they're not very helpful they don't always know. My breastfeeding support group ran a service a bit like this.
Call citizens advice, they may be able to refer you to stuff not otherwise available,
Sometimes you need to keep asking and keep asking and make it clear that you need the help now not in a few weeks after processing time.

Floramay Tue 07-May-13 19:11:22

Great...won't give up this is really helping me...thankyou ladies

Floramay Tue 07-May-13 19:11:34

I'm in Coventry

HerrenaHarridan Tue 07-May-13 19:31:10

That's a bit far from me but I have a friend that lives in Coventry peace house, I'll ask her if she knows anything about local groups or services that may be able to help.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 07-May-13 19:38:08

A thought re school run. You could try ringing the school and explaining your situation and asking them to contact parents who live close to you to see if anyone would mind picking yours up on their way (especially if you volunteer to return the favour when you have recovered)

I know I'd be happy to if it was put to me smile

Floramay Tue 07-May-13 22:18:19

Thanks Herrena for enquiring...good idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: