Talk

Advanced search

Fathers details on birth certificate

(4 Posts)
Anniieok Thu 02-May-13 18:47:46

Can a man put his name on a register birth certificate without the mother being there?
I was wondering can a man put his name on a birth certificate that has already been registered without the mothers consent? I have registered my sons birth with no fathers details could he without going to court just change the certificate. I know it says it needs mothers permission but anyone can doctor a letter or have someone turn up with them claiming to be mum

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 02-May-13 18:49:34

No, he cannot change it, don't worry.

lostdad Fri 03-May-13 09:02:40

Yes he could.

The birth certificate is a record of the child's birth - why would you not want this fact recorded?

If it is because you don't want him to have PR he can apply to the court for it and his name added. You will have to demonstrate to the court why it is in your dc's best interests for their dad not to have PR and not to have his name on their birth certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/parental-rights-responsibilities/apply-for-parental-responsibility

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 03-May-13 13:08:55

No, lostdad, he cannot just change the birth cert. If OP and the father of her child were married at the time of birth, he could have registered the child without the mother being there. If they were not married, the mother needs to be there, in person, to register the birth and get a cert. If those are the conditions to register a birth, why on earth would conditions be any different to change the cert? As you say, it's a record of the child's birth, so it cannot be altered by what may be simply any random turning up at the registry office and claiming to be dad.

It is true that dad could go to court and have his PR recognised, and OP does mention court. But that's a long, long way (and time, money and effort) from changing the cert because he feels like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now