Talk

Advanced search

Loosing myself...

(8 Posts)
MySonIsMyWorld Wed 01-May-13 16:31:31

Hi ALL
I left my abusive ex at the end of January and im just starting to find myself again. I feel really lost like i don't know who i am.... has anyone else been in this situation?
I just dont feel like me....

cestlavielife Wed 01-May-13 16:43:00

ind a good counsellor, cbt type work; post-separation or "divorced and separated" group etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 01-May-13 17:25:57

I had stopped doing anything for myself and really had no interests apart from work and running the house.
I have a dog so he was an excellent start and we go to agility together. I also thought back to what I had enjoyed doing at school and music was one thing so I joined a branch of Rock Choir. I have made new friends and am really enjoying going.

pod3030 Wed 01-May-13 17:32:30

oh yes, i'm in the same boat. i feel stripped of my previous personality and just coming to terms with the fact that i can be who i like, do what i like, without the self-editing i used to do. it's a bit scary. but exciting too! i have a bit of a wobble every now and then, but i'm enjoying motherhood sooo much more now. I'm in the process of sweeping those eggshells i used to walk on away. smile

Piemother Thu 02-May-13 01:20:45

Soon after separation my mum offered to make new curtains for me and took me to choose fabric. I had a break down in Dunhelm. I was used to deferring to exh because it was easier but even without him I didn't even know what I liked for myself. I know too well how you feel op bit I promise it gets better x

DotCottonsHairnet Thu 02-May-13 18:30:54

Similar here - seperated at end of last year. Slowly getting there but it is hard. I have taken up a new hobby and am loving it - getting out loads with that.

House move happening in the summer and I hope that will help too - new home with no memories.

Getting and doing stuff is the best thing.

DotCottonsHairnet Thu 02-May-13 18:32:25

Btw am a new me - weight lost, happy and slowly me confidence is returning after years of it being knocked.

Lots of baby steps and you have to accept there are bad days but am hoping eventually they will be few and far between.

PurpleThing Fri 03-May-13 03:31:12

Yes, I told Women's Aid it was like I had discovered a box in the attic and found bits of my personality. They said they hear that kind of thing a lot.

Someone asked me which celeb I found attractive the other day and I had no idea! You have just been surviving for so long you forget about anything non-essential.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now