Advanced search

how much should ex help us out financially?

(7 Posts)
msbrightside Tue 23-Apr-13 21:01:26

I could do with some advice on maintenance payments.
My exp (never married) pays £450 per month maintenance for our 8year old dd, he takes home over £4500k per month.
this amount was agreed over 4 years ago, it was based on my loss of earnings when i went from full time to part time after having her.

our situation has changed massively over the last year, I sold my house (owned with exh,long story, he always paid the mortgage, in lieu of maintenance for 2 older dd's) and now am in rented paying a fortune each month as I'm not able to buy anywhere as I dont earn enough.

so I'm fortunate, I have some cash behind me to get by, I wont qualify for any housing help - but want to know if my dd's dad should contribute towards the huge rent i'm shelling out each month?
any advice very much welcommed, my pot of dosh is dwindling by the month..

HappyMummyOfOne Tue 23-Apr-13 21:33:56

Use the CSA calculator using income and number of children. He is under no obligation to pay rent on your new place.

IneedAyoniNickname Tue 23-Apr-13 22:53:38

Maintenance would be calculated based on his income, not your outgoings. I think it's 15% of his income for one child, assuming he doesn't have other children. Sorry, you mention 2 older children, are there 3 children altogether? Google the CSA calculator, that who work or out for you.

ozzywiz Tue 23-Apr-13 23:07:48

I got 5 kids on my own and get 5 pound a week . .

WTFisABooyhooISBooyhoo Tue 23-Apr-13 23:12:27

CSA recommend 15% of his income for one child and 20% for two or ore children. reduced if he has other children living with him.

msbrightside Tue 23-Apr-13 23:18:58

Thanks for the advice, we've always sorted things out between us, no CSA so wasn't sure what I can really expect.
I know I'm fortunate, believe me, just had one ex make me homeless and the other not really stepping up..bless em..;)

littlemisssarcastic Sun 28-Apr-13 22:00:08

Does your ex have a steady job? Is he PAYE? Is he self employed?

How many children do you have with him who are still in full time non advanced education?

If your ex has a steady job that is PAYE, has been there a while and will not resign to prevent paying you child maintenance and you have one child together who is in non advanced full time education, on the income you say he takes home every month, you could expect in the region of £675 per month via CSA.
Of course this will depend on many things, such as how often your ex has the child to stay overnight, or how many other children he has with other women etc.

HTH as a rough idea though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: