Talk

Advanced search

Would it be worth me working ??

(26 Posts)
nutcracker Sun 14-May-06 08:56:48

I need to get some sort of life before I go mad and was wondering if it would be worth me working at the moment.

I have 3 kids one of whom is still nursery age. I don't drive and the only job experiance I have is cleaning hotel rooms and shelf stacking so hardley large saleries invovled.

Would it be worth it or is it best to get some more training in something under my belt and find a job when Ds starts school (sept 07) ???

Freckle Sun 14-May-06 08:59:20

Have you tried Learn Direct? I'm not sure how much they cost or if you get a discount if you're on benefits, but it might be worth learning with them to keep your mind active now and to enable you to get a better job when ds starts school.

nutcracker Sun 14-May-06 09:03:32

I did look at Leran Direct but tbh I didn't fancy any of the courses although I know doing a computer one would help really.

I even miss working at Wilkos right now , god i mst be really bored and fed up

HappyMumof2 Sun 14-May-06 10:58:18

Message withdrawn

Caligula Sun 14-May-06 11:11:41

You could phone one of these DWP jobs advisors who do a special plan for lone parents wanting to return to the workplace. They might even help you find training courses suitable for you. I know that sounds like a govt propaganda leaflets, but really some of them are good - it's luck whether you get a crap or a good advisor. Worth enquiring, anyway.

fairyfly Sun 14-May-06 11:38:53

Can you really earn 60 pounds and not have it taken off your benefits?

Caligula Sun 14-May-06 11:42:52

£60 a month maybe?

Gillian76 Sun 14-May-06 11:45:22

Must be £60 a week. A girl I work with is in a similar situation.

fairyfly Sun 14-May-06 11:48:35

Cant be £60 pounds a week, surely.

Nutcarcake, have you thought about training for something that gets you straight into the work force. Maybe something in Beauty therapy. Some of the courses are quite short and you can carry on going back to learn new skills.

Or how about a job where you can work up the ladder?

Gillian76 Sun 14-May-06 11:50:03

I don't know the figures but she works 16 hours a week and won't do over that cos it affects her benefits.

I think a course would be a good idea

Caligula Sun 14-May-06 11:51:15

I think it depends how much you earn whether it affects your benefits and whether she's talking about IS, HB, Council Tax Benefit or tax credits.

fairyfly Sun 14-May-06 11:56:55

I think.........

You can earn up to 16 hours a week but they take it off your income support and you don't have to pay tax. They keep up to £1000 pounds of your earnings then if you go above 16 hours they give it you as a back to work bonus.

Freckle Sun 14-May-06 13:19:33

Have you looked at New Deal for Lone Parents? This is specifically designed for people in your situation. One thing you have to think about though is what you will do with the children during school holidays. It's all very well getting a job which fits in with school hours during term time, but childcare during holidays, Baker days, etc., could be a problem.

nutcracker Sun 14-May-06 13:33:24

It's funny you should mention beauty therapy FF cos me and my mum were talking about it earlier and an NVQ in it is only 18 weeks long.

I do worry what i'd do in the hols with the kids though.

Childminding was mentioned to me at my lone parent interview but tbh i'd rather boil my own head

Think i have to have another lone parent interview soon so I can ask for more details of stuff then i spose.

singledadofthree Sun 14-May-06 16:08:31

if you're thinking of working part time cash in hand you can only earn £20 a week. if you get more it is taken off IS if you get it - pound for pound. you need proof too as they do tend to pester a bit and assume you will fiddle more.
situations vary but new deal only seems to work if you rent, i tried it with mortgage and was always worse off.

singledadofthree Sun 14-May-06 16:11:06

and you need a job that gives time off in school hols or juggle child minder. schools seem to run on Teaching Assistants these days who tend to be local parents - but you'd have to really like kids for that

HappyMumof2 Sun 14-May-06 16:16:01

Message withdrawn

singledadofthree Sun 14-May-06 16:18:34

wow - i'm impressed and stand corrected, pity i dont like kids that much

nightowl Thu 18-May-06 16:05:59

hi nutcracker. you could get on one of these courses ive taken. its completely free and you can still go there even if you work (providing the times dont clash obviously). mines held at a local school, in a seperate building to the kids thankfully!) they have a nursery there too. ive been going for over a year now and have gotten 5 qualifications. i only have to do 3 hours a week. ask your lone parent advisor, they should have a list.

singledadofthree Fri 19-May-06 00:15:48

Happymumof2
have just realised from what you said that the government are encouraging 'lone parents' to look after, therefore share in the upbringing of other peoples children. aren't we supposed to be the dysfunctionals that sponge off the state and raise underachieving kids?
wow - i'm impressed - they obviously think otherwise, although only quietly

nightowl Fri 19-May-06 19:15:45

maybe they think we need more practice?

singledadofthree Fri 19-May-06 21:03:40

Well i guess practice does make perfect, but still - are they taking the mick or what? maybe i should get my arse in gear and do a 'brady bunch' as i am so perfect

HappyMumof2 Fri 19-May-06 21:20:05

Message withdrawn

singledadofthree Sat 20-May-06 00:02:25

am struggling to make sense of it after all the bad press of late regarding single parents. can only think that we - well you as i'm not up for childminding - are seen as cut price childminders for those who maybe cannot afford full price mainstream childcare. the £60 limit means theres no point trying to charge more, but acts as a good enough incentive and keeps everyone happy - not exactly a get rich quick scheme tho. speaking of which, what are you studying nightowl? and does it have to be relevant to future employment? i tried a while ago and was refused as it was only for my own interest.

nightowl Sat 20-May-06 13:14:10

its just computers singledad, but useful because ive always worked in admin (not very glam i know, but i like it). i dont understand why they refused you? i could do any of the courses the centre offer for free, first aid, childcare (no thanks), even crafting and thats hardly relevant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: