Talk

Advanced search

how to fit in exercise?!

(6 Posts)
sailingmummy Mon 01-Apr-13 22:38:52

Since becoming a single parent, I have put on a bit of weight - probably mainly due to needing a glass of wine regularly and eating more chocolate to make myself feel better ;)

Before singledom, I used to exercise a couple of times a week, but since the split, can not work out how to fit exercise in to lose the weight.I'm always either at work, or the kids are asleep in bed!

I work full time and have a 6 and 5 year old.....how do you manage to get any exercise whilst being a single parent of young children?! We can't do cycling as my daughter cannot ride a bike yet - she is not good with wheels and gets hysterical with fear...

Fleecyslippers Mon 01-Apr-13 22:46:01

Wii fit and yoga DVDS. I've also had to give up all my classes.

pod3030 Mon 01-Apr-13 22:48:03

i feel your pain- i used to be very into running, it's my first love, now i'm a lp it's so hard to fit any exercise in when your knackered . my dd is 17m, so at the moment i have a running buggy i run with when i have the energy. otherwise it's the shred dvd, only 30 mins . or (and this will make me sound mad) running up and down the stairs 40 times. gets the buttocks quivering i can tell you. could you incorporate walking/cycling into your commute? or go out in your lunch hour for a brisk walk/jog/swim?

SqueakyCleanNameChange Mon 01-Apr-13 22:53:40

Two words
Jillian Michaels.

Or one word
Shred

Ten-twenty minutes of exercising so hard you think you're going to vomit your heart into your mouth is worth hours of phoning it in at the gym, and that nice Michael Moseley agrees with me.

sailingmummy Mon 01-Apr-13 22:54:30

I'm a teacher and so on my feet all day - plus my school is massive so do a fair bit of walking throughout the day! I work 20 miles away from home so can't cycle there either and my lunch 'hour' is 45 mins long and usually spent sorting out teenagers smile
I'll try and get a DVD and force myself to do it rather than posting on MN instead of doing school work! Once Ex moves a bit more local, I want to start sailing again when he has the kids for contact, as before children I used to dinghy race 2-3 times a week - but it would be great to do that just once a week!

mrsmootoo Mon 01-Apr-13 23:05:48

If you can afford it and if you have the space, get a rowing machine (Concept 2 is the best). 20 mins x 3 per week. Best money me and DH ever spent - all the money we've saved over the years of joining gyms and not going! Cardiovascular, muscles, tums, bums - everything! And it's all over in your house rain or shine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now