Talk

Advanced search

school question

(7 Posts)
MsDFye Mon 01-Apr-13 00:00:20

Have been on my own with DS since he was a baby. He is now 6 and very happy at the local school. His father lives nearby and has a younger child with a new partner. We do not get on at all (split was due to violence on his part) but contact is in a fairly settled pattern now. Handovers are done via school so I never have to see DS's father.
I know that he is planning to send the younger child to the same school as DS when he is old enough. I cannot bear the thought of bumping into him or his partner on anything like a daily basis. There is only one entrance point to the school so it would be impossible to always avoid them.
Apart from the obvious move, is there anything I can do about this? I have thought about going to the headteacher but admissions are done via the LA so I can't imagine she has the any influence over who gets into the school, even if she wanted to.
thanks for reading.

Tacal Mon 01-Apr-13 00:12:50

You never know, maybe they will change their minds and send their child to a different school. Is there any way you can speak to them and let them know how you feel? If it were me, I would be reluctant to move if DS was happy and settled at the school.

My ds is not at school yet, so I am not familiar with school procedures yet. I hope someone can give you some good advice.

I hope things work out ok for you. x

MsDFye Mon 01-Apr-13 00:23:53

There are other options locally but I think XP will use this as his last opportunity to 'get' at me. He knows I do not like the idea. Thanks for your kind reply though x

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Apr-13 09:14:47

Be wary of rushing to change if your Ex has PR. If he has PR any change must be a joint decision between you. I say this as someone who is stuck in the middle if a complex battle to change my DD's school. And who had to see the OW that Wx left me for as the DD's are in the same class. My reason for change is to benefit DD who academically would benefit from a different school and benefit for the child must be the basis for any change I am afraid.

MsColour Tue 02-Apr-13 22:41:52

Don't let him bully you. If this child does end up in the same school then hold your head up high and get on with it. Do you have someone who can walk up to school with so you aren't on your own if you do bump into him.

MsDFye Wed 03-Apr-13 00:00:41

Thanks for your replies - haven't been able to log in for a couple of days.
Lonecat that situation must be awful, can't imagine how you're coping with it.
Yes XP does have PR but has never shown any interest in DS's education (didn't bother to look at/get involved in choosing the school before DS started there and has never been to a Parent's evening). But by 'move' I meant move house (and then send DS to a different school). I think it would be too strange for him if we stayed living here whilst I sent him somewhere else. However, this is about the best (for us) area I can afford to live in and DS is very settled.
MsColour I think holding my head up might be what I end up having to do! And we are quite established (friendship wise) at the school so that's a good idea to ask someone to walk with me. In fact, I don't understand why XP and his partner would want to go there really, although they are exceedingly thick skinned!

purpleroses Wed 03-Apr-13 08:08:28

How old is the younger child? If it's just little now your DS might be old enough to make his own way by the time it starts. Otherwise just ignore them and talk to your own friends. It would seem very unfair to make your DS change schools just for that reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now