Advanced search

help re tax credits letter

(46 Posts)
Daisypops Mon 10-Dec-12 22:58:39

10 days ago I received a letter from hmrc saying my tax credits claim has been selected for enquiry as there maybe another adult living at my address. My ex p moved out at the end of june. I advised them and started a single claim. Ex p went to work abroad. He came bk at the end of October and has stayed with a friend. He bought a car to use whilst hes home and I realised he'd registered it here when I got the letter from dvla. I have asked him to change the address with his bank, dvla etc but he hasnt (or won't :-/)
I have rung the number on the letter about 100 times (no joke) its impossible to get through. I get a recorded message saying dont leave a message but I did anyway or it's engaged. I rang the normal helpline out of sheer frustration but they said to just keep trying and they'd send a message through for them to ring me.
Last week I decided to send a letter. Copy bank statements proving I pay everything and my council tax bill. I explained that he doesnt live here, he works overseas and stays at friends/familys.
The letter they sent me says they will stop payments to me on 27 Dec if I dont ring them.
I work part time and rely on the payments to subsidise our living costs. My dc's father has paid me £500 in a year most of that is what he owes me not child support!
So im worried sick that they'll stop payments. Im also totally frustrated that I cant get to speak to anyone and im angry that ex o wont provide me with anything with his address on as he says he is of 'no fixed address'
Please someone help...

TheSilverPussycat Mon 10-Dec-12 23:45:34

I have rung the Tax Credits people a few times over the last year, and have always managed to get through eventually. Eventually meaning after 20-30 minutes. I have a land line so its cheaper than a mobile, but even so.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 00:05:50

The letter says I have to ring an 03000 number. I can get through to the normal helpline but they said I have to speak to compliance team on the number quoted on the letter. I have tried, like I said about 30 times a day at different times but no success. Dont know what else to do. I will keep trying but on a few occasions I have even got a message saying they are only open 8-5 but im calling inbetween those times?

Letsmakecookies Tue 11-Dec-12 08:17:50

Reading this one of the first things I would do is call the DVLA and tell them your ex has illegally registered his car (and possibly driving license) at your address, even though he doesn't live there and the car has never been parked there.

Then I would do the same with the banks and anything else he may have registered at your address still.

From experience father's paying back what they owe and child support get merged into one, and I never got both!

Can you not get through to the helpline and ask them to transfer you through, or give them your number and ask them to pass it on to the compliance team? Or when you get through ask to speak to the most senior person there as you are having big problems?

Good luck.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 11:24:20

I have asked to be put through. They said they cant transfer calls to that department. I left my number for them to call me, they haven't. sad

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 11-Dec-12 11:56:57

I had the exact sane letter last week. So have many people I found out.

You do have to speak to them in the designated number, there is no other option so all you can do is keep trying. I rang yesterday and got through after 3 rings, no hold music or anything so it is possible.

The lady I spoke to was really helpful.

Basically they are doing credit checks on people to see where their registered address is. He needs to make sure he has changed his address with all the important official things such as bank statements, council tax etc.

When you ring they will ask you to confirm his current address and do another search. Depending on what the search on that address shows up they will either close the case there and then or advise you of what you need to do.

The main thing is don't panic. Easier said than done I know, I was in a right flap over the weekend but it will be ok honestly.

Just keep ringing the number.

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Tue 11-Dec-12 13:39:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 20:50:22

Im dreaming-.thank you so much for posting. Its nice to know im not the only one. I rang them today, just the normal helpline number and I got a horrible man who kept butting in when I was speaking. I asked if he'd let me finish and he put the phone down. I rang bk and got a nice man who was sympathetic and took my number also and asked them to ring me urgently. I cried. It's so frustrating. My ex p hasnt lived here since the end of june and I told them that. Ive asked him to redirect his post he sometimes says he will and sometimes says he wont. I have written to them and sent bank statements that are just in my name and show that it is me who pays for everything. I sent my water bill and my council tax bill that shows my single discount. Its so frustrating. They letter says they'll stop payments on 27 dec if I dont contact them so I really don't know if someone will read my letter or ring me before then. I have honestly tried about 20/30 times a day. I am astounded they can give a number out and threaten to stop payments when it is impossible to speak to someone. Let me know if u get through'dreaming' and ask them to ring daisy asap ;)

LineRunner Tue 11-Dec-12 20:53:00

I always write to HMRC with any change of circumstance, or to respond to any query, and keep a copy.

LineRunner Tue 11-Dec-12 20:53:32

In your case I would also send it Special Delivery.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 20:54:06

But randall ive asked him to change his adress and he says he cant as hes going back to sea in january and is currently of 'no fixed address' hes just been difficult because he could redirect his post to his sisters. What will they say to this? I feel like inviting them round to prove hes not living here! Was it the 03000 number you rang on?

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 20:55:38

Hi linerunner. I have written twice. Send the first letter recorded with copies of all docs and sent second letter 1st class. Ive kept copies.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 20:57:18

I dont know where he is staying sad

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Tue 11-Dec-12 21:21:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 21:42:34

Thanks dreaming. Ive just been chatting to my mum.and im going to send everything back and say hes at his sisters address (he isnt) but aslong as it doesnt come here. Hes not bothered now because it doesnt affect him. Makes me very angry. Hmrc take ages to sort things out I will struggle and probably have to borrow off my dad sad

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Tue 11-Dec-12 22:20:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Daisypops Tue 11-Dec-12 22:54:27

I had to complain in the summer. Someone rang me to sort it out. I never got any acknowledgements though or even a letter to say it was sorted etc. I dont think they have a complaints procedure, if they do they didnt follow it. Which address are u sending complaint to? I did mention it in the letter I sent last week. If I didnt answer my work phone I'd be sacked! Hope u get it sorted. Keep me posted x

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 11-Dec-12 23:21:32

All you have to do is make sure nothing of his is registered to your address.

Wherever he actually does register them is not your problem.

As another poster said, every time you get a piece of mail for him just put a line through the address window, write "not at this address" on the envelope and put it back in the post.

When you do speak to them just explain that you don't know what his official address is. Just be honest, it's extremely difficult to prove someone is lying if they aren't!

You have all the proof you need that you are living alone which is bank statements, bills etc all in your name only.

I got straight through on the 03000 number at lunch time on Monday. I know it's not much consolation but the lady I spoke to was lovely.

And don't worry about the time limit. You only have to speak to them by that date, if they need you to send anything in they'll give you another date to send it in by.

I know it's scary, I spent the weekend in a right old state but honestly, you'll be fine.

RandallPinkFloyd Tue 11-Dec-12 23:26:32

Just wanted to add that re-directing his mail is not a good idea.

If things just get re-directed automatically by the post office you'll have no idea what's being sent to your address and it leaves him free to keep using it.

Just send it all back not at this address. That way the companies will put a "gone away" block on any accounts when they get the letters back and he'll be forced to sort it as the accounts will be frozen.

Daisypops Wed 12-Dec-12 11:02:05

Thanks randall I'll do that. I have tried the number again this morning about 5 times. I've sent bank statements and bills in but if they dont read them before 27 dec will my payments stop? I have tried and tried contacting them. Ive even rung the normal helpline number 4 times to tell them I can't get through. Do you think my bank statements and bills will be sufficient?

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 12-Dec-12 14:11:55

I would imagine so, I think that's what they would ask for if anything was needed anyway.

I didn't have to provide anything, they were happy to sort it out over the phone but from speaking to other people (in the midst of my aforementioned flap!) they had been asked for bank statements and bills which clearly show everything is solely in your name and paid for by you IYSWIM.

I'm really shocked at the phone number being so difficult to get through on but tbh from what I gathered this is a new process so they're probably ridiculously over-busy.

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Wed 12-Dec-12 14:23:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tryingtobestonger Wed 12-Dec-12 15:10:16

I had been having the same problem trying to get through on the 03000 number - countless times of ringing and just no answer. My deadline to phone them was yesterday and finally managed to get through this morning. Lady was lovely and I explained our situation and she said that was sufficient and would close her investigation. I had been so worried but the issue was solved very quickly.

I think the fact that you are able to prove that there is only the one income coming in and you pay all the bills you shouldn't have a problem.

RandallPinkFloyd Wed 12-Dec-12 15:11:41

0300 057 3142

That's the number I rang.

imdreamingofaskyebluechristmas Wed 12-Dec-12 15:40:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now