Talk

Advanced search

I started Uni in Sept, trying to do my nursing, but Im on my own with 4 young children (12, 9, 7, 2) and im starting to worry about how i'll cope! Anyone else done/doing it? Id love some advice!

(5 Posts)
PiperBeeley Mon 05-Nov-12 19:25:21

Im doing my foundation degree nearby, but im hoping to progress onto a different uni next sept to continue to nursing degree. I have reasonably limited help from family as only my mum and dad live close by, and they are in their 70's so i dont want to rely too much on them! My kids dad and i are on reasonably friendly terms, but he works full time and he's not enormously reliable, so i doubt i can rely on him too much. Im worried about how im going to cope with the extra hours a full time nursing degree course demands? And all the placements! Have i got a hope in hell of managing? I already do all day monday, tuesday and friday, and im coping fine. Has anyone done their nursing and can give me any idea of what to expect - i'd be really grateful! I dont want to bite of more then can chew etc. I certainly dont want my kids lives to be stressful because im always out or studying. I do know the course will demand alot from me, and i really want to do it and get on with forging a career for myself, im just starting to worry abit and could really do with some advice if anyone has time. TIA x

nkf Mon 05-Nov-12 19:30:38

I bet you can do it. You sound as if you are doing really well so far. Just go for it. It will be so worth it. I know a single mother who trained to be a doctor. She had three kids. It was very very hard but I know she feels it was a good thing to do. And her kids are fine. Good luck.

makemineapinot Mon 05-Nov-12 20:11:01

I trained as ateacher last year on my own with 2 kids and an evening job. It was tough but you can do it. Just do what is absolutely necessary and don't get bogged down in the unimportant stuff. be clear and honest about your situation and people will normally try to accommodate your needs. It was avery long year last year and it was stressful for my kids 9as well as me!) but it was so rewarding to get there!

IneedAgoldenNickname Mon 05-Nov-12 20:26:06

Go you, I'm sure you'll find a way!
I'm currently doing the access to nursing, hoping to progress to uni in sept! My 2 are 8 and 6. But I'm lucky in trust my Mum is local and only in her 50s.
Its still going to hard but I can do it, and so can you!

PiperBeeley Mon 05-Nov-12 20:57:43

Ah thanks so much for the positive comments guys grin i have quite a few days were i feel positive - like i CAN do it, others can, so can i! - but then i have a few days were i think oh crap, what am i doing?? - i havent got time, im not clever enough, there's no waaay i can get through 3 more years after this and actually be a nurse!!! I want to do it SOOOO badly, and i know i will be so proud of myself, i dont ever want to rely on anyone to support me again, i want to do it myself, but i cant get past the panic that i'm taking on too much and im going to fail! Some of you have obviously got through it - and its so good to read about others who have managed! I really hope my positive, optimistic days get more frequent, and slowly drown out the 'oh crap what am i doing' days!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now