Advanced search

Does involving CSA mean he has rights?

(11 Posts)
MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 25-Oct-12 20:12:16

I have a dd who is 12 months. Her dad last seen her when she was 6 weeks old. I haven't had any contact with him now since January. He gave me money when she was first born, but that's been it. He isn't listed on her birth certificate as he never showed up on the day to register her.

I've never wanted to bother with the csa, but now I'm wondering if I should. I'm worried though that it will mean he can start throwing around demands to have her on his own/over night etc. is this realistic?

MissKeithLemon Thu 25-Oct-12 20:16:06

Maintenance and contact are two totally separate issues OP.

He should be paying towards the upkeep of his child.

This may prompt him into action re contact.

In answer though, the CSA being involved will not automatically change anything and does not give him any additional rights.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 25-Oct-12 20:29:36

Thank you for your reply smile

Yes I do feel that he should be paying, but in some ways I feel like I don't want anything from him. He has made his choice and that's that

MakeItALarge Thu 25-Oct-12 21:14:51

I totally understand why you wouldnt want anything from him but ring the CSA and take the money for your daughter! Even if you just put it all in an account for when she's older. It doesnt give him any rights at all, contact and maintenance are very seperate issues.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 25-Oct-12 21:23:40

Is it a difficult process?

MissKeithLemon Thu 25-Oct-12 21:43:58

Actually getting a claim going is very easy Duck!

Whether it is then easy to make him pay his fair share is another matter entirely.

My 1st ExP had ten years of ducking and diving before I received a single penny. But he is a massive twat. It all depends on him really.

MummyDuckAndDuckling Thu 25-Oct-12 22:07:17

Hmm, I may look into it, for my daughter rather than me. I don't want anything from him by why the fuck should he get away with not contributing to her. She can save it and buy herself something fabulous with it when she is older grin

lostdad Fri 09-Nov-12 12:42:50

There is no link in law between contact and maintenance.

The fact that he isn't on the birth certificate means he doesn't have PR (Parental Responsibility) as you have effectively not recognised him as your daughter's father and his most likely response it to point this out if (when?) he refuses to pay.

Assuming this is what happens sooner or later a DNA test will happen and he may ask to go on the birth certificate giving him PR.

If he hasn't bothered about this, isn't bothered about contact then he is not providing for his daughter emotionally. She has a right to a relationship with him. I'm not being funny here...but what have you done to try to get him to do this (in the same way you're concerned about providing for her financially).

Please don't take this the wrong way. Is he a dick? I'd say so. Is he running away from his responsibilities? Definitely.

But even if HE is not taking his responsibilities seriously it would be in your daughter's best interests to try to get him to do so both financially and emotionally.

xmasevebundle Tue 13-Nov-12 04:34:29

He has to get on the BC first then get PR then a contact order.

PR does NOT give him rights to see his child. These rights are for school choices etc.

ChocHobNob Tue 13-Nov-12 10:53:08

Xmas, that's not correct. A father can have contact without having PR and he can get PR without being on the BC. He just applies to court.

colditz Wed 14-Nov-12 09:33:20

It's not a case of him having rights, really, it's a case of your daughter having the right to see her father. Money not relevant to access, although going to the csa often does prompt absent parents to seek access, as if children are pay per view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now