Talk

Advanced search

feeling brave but should I book a holiday abroad with the dcs?

(15 Posts)
sausagesandwich34 Mon 15-Oct-12 22:44:47

been on holiday in this country by myself with the dcs

we never went abroad as a family as we were always waiting for them to be old enough to appreciate it hmm

so I haven't been abroad for 16 years, and the dcs have never been

how difficult is it to travel by yourself with dcs (8&10) and can anyone recommend anywhere?

I'm not into wild nights or entertainment -just looking for warm weather & a beach/pool

FannyBazaar Mon 15-Oct-12 22:49:27

I travel regularly with my DS (7) although as he gets older, he is most interested in somewhere anywhere where there will be other children. Me, I like a bit of culture and tradition, he just wants to make sand castles and play on the beach, at the playground. I find staying somewhere in a traditional area meets my needs as we get to explore the area on the way to the beaches, if we stay right on a beachside, he would be a nightmare to drag off somewhere else.

makemineapinot Tue 16-Oct-12 13:24:21

yes yes yes!!! I've been for the last 4 years abroad with my 2 - now 9 and 10. It's so much easier than having a difficult adult male spoiling thingsa nd your kids are perfect age to play in the pool and leave you to lie sunbathing! I've taken them 'camping' abroad in mobile homes which was fab - this site was best as only 40 mins on local bus from Venice marco Polo airport and was such an easy site to enjoy!! Very relaxing - www.portofelice.it
This year I used tesco vouchers and went to www.clubmarthas.com/en/ which was fab and very relaxing - loads of lovely restauarants etc round complex and entertainment for kids. It was full of families and I did sit alone 2-3 nights but all the others out of 14 I met people to sit with. That was less of an issue on the camping holidays where everyone sat outside their mobiles in the evening and it was very sociable. However, it was nice in the apartment to have someone clean up after us and make beds etc!! (wouldn't recommend all inc at Cklub martha though and it was really cheap to eat out - huge kids meals for 2e 75! And big enough for my 10 yo DS who hoovers up food!

avenueone Tue 16-Oct-12 21:28:41

Great advice posted already - yes go, you will feel liberated when you get back. I have been going abroad for the last 5 years since my DS was 2. Wonderful time together - we do things each of us wants to and have quality time together and apart when he makes friends. Turkey had some nice all inclusive hotels/resorts of various ratings - I did all inclusive first until I got braver so we had everything there if we needed it. Even on the nights he went to bed early (when younger) it was so much nicer sitting on a balcony having a drink reading a book than sat in the house. Lots of people will talk to you, the good thing is you can talk to them if you want to and not if you don't. I feel so free when we are away. Just booked for next June for a week. We have some holidays with other people but I really enjoy them just me and DS. Have a brilliant time - choosing where to go will be part of the fun. I'm excited for you, please post when you get back and have had a great time.

avenueone Tue 16-Oct-12 21:31:21

Thanks for that porto link minesapinot I may try there grin looks fab.

allthefun Tue 16-Oct-12 22:29:34

I did a cheap cruise round the Med. It was £399 each but that was flights out to Palma and is all inclusive. It's fab visiting interesting bits in whatever country you visit (Pompeii was a huge hit) but without any stress. You get the luxury of a pool and time on your own as the children love the very well run kids clubs. Can be expensive but if you do the trips out yourself (and sneak in the wine) it's not too bad. The children love it. Running round a big ship is fun in itself.

sausagesandwich34 Tue 16-Oct-12 23:00:55

was thinking all inclusive to fuerteventura

would that be a good bet do you think?

I have nightmares about ending up in some party town full of 18 year olds on their first holiday without their parents think the inbetweeners

Wallison Wed 17-Oct-12 21:57:56

Travelling abroad with kids is fine - not that much different to travelling in this country if you're only doing a three/four hour flight or whatever. The only bummer is waiting around at the airport but maybe yours have little computer things (sorry am not tech savvy - you know the kind of thing I mean - a PCP or whatever they're called) then that or a good book (my option for my son) will keep them occupied. I think it's really nice for kids to go to different countries and you can teach them a few bits of language - my son was really chuffed that he could actually converse with people in shops and waiters and so on. We always go self-catering because I like to have time to myself in the evening, watching telly and reading and that, and it's a bit tricky if we're just stuck in one room. It's wonderful just what being in a different country can do for your headspace and of course having guaranteed good weather makes everything just so much easier.

Fuerteventura I think would be great - we went on our first trip abroad to Lanzarote and had a fab time - the Canaries in general are well-established as tourist resorts which makes things easier. I specifically chose a town that I'd heard was quiet - if you look on trip advisor it will probably tell you, or just google. Do it! Definitely!

ladygoingGaga Wed 17-Oct-12 23:03:50

Watching with interest, newly single with DS who is 6, I would love to take him away for the week next year too. I've been looking at single parent holiday websites.
Has anyone tried one of them?

boredandrestless Thu 18-Oct-12 20:07:52

Do go you will have a great time! smile

I have taken DS to Disneyland Paris and Tunisia and both were positive experiences. He has autism so I didn't get any sitting by the pool time, but when he was tuckered out at the end of the day I could sit with a drink and a book. Take boredom busters (comics, handheld consoles, notepad and paper) and plenty of travel tablets for if any of you need them. Anything else that you forget you can buy as you need it.

I looked at Forteventura (sp?) to but found it very expensive. Depends what time of year you go though.

AllDirections Thu 18-Oct-12 20:25:06

ladygoingGaga

I've been to Crete and Majorca with Single With Kids and I've been on a few uk hols too. We've loved every holiday.

www.singlewithkids.co.uk

ladygoingGaga Thu 18-Oct-12 23:43:03

Thank you all I've just looked at their website, may just take the plunge smile

TheSitChewAceChien Mon 22-Oct-12 21:40:12

Definitely!
I'm just back from Turkey with DS and had such a brilliant time.

Spent a lot of time lounging on a sunbed, watching DS splash in a shallow pool (while listening to a lot of 'happy families' bicker wink)
It was so lovely to spend time with him without say "wait a minute while I..." no washing up or cleaning or cooking.
Sunshine every day.
Fab!

mrsmcv Tue 23-Oct-12 20:21:16

party town thing made me laugh! Turned up at a festival on my own with dd aged six, camped in the wrong place - think boys in their early 20s and squeally girls. DD charmed them all and seeing them drunkenly playing bubbles and juggling with her was hilarious, especially when she started to make her own arrangements to meet up with them later. total mutual appreciation society.

Always travelled alone with dd, since she was 17 months. Enjoyed all inclusives in majorca and ibiza. Totally love ibiza but for a bit of culture, palma is nice in majorca. Also went to torremolinos one year - nice for kiddies and v near malaga with loads of culture and picasso museum. taking dd to italy next year as she is obsessed with food and history - going to stay in a convent in Rome! wish us luck!

have always found reviews on tripadvisor very reliable

charlearose Wed 24-Oct-12 19:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now