Talk

Advanced search

DD calling dad by his first name - Help!

(14 Posts)
alfiethetortoise Fri 05-Oct-12 19:36:48

I was having a discussion with DD over dinner about going to the aquarium. DD said "I went to the aquarium with a and D". I frowned. 'Who?!' i said, "A and D". The penny dropped. I said to her, 'yes, you went to the aquarium with daddy and a. Do you call daddy D when your out with him and a?' 'Yes, that's what A calls him' so I said to her 'Yes, because daddy only has one girl and A has her own dad. But it's not nice, so you should call him daddy, it's a bit like grandad - I'll call him dad but you call him grandad'. DD frowns.
Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? S It seems disrespectful to me though I suspect DD doesn't really have a strong emotional attachment to him as much as other family. I think it was a simple response because his girlfried was calling him by his first name. Should I tell him that I don't like it, and in future she should call him dad in front of DD? Or should she be allowed to call him what she likes?!
Hoping someone else has had a similar problem. DD has regular contact with father, but he has never lived with us and for the first 2 years contact was sporadic. I never refer to him by his first name, always as 'daddy' or 'dad'.

ShirleyRots Fri 05-Oct-12 19:39:02

NO! I would leave it, honestly. I remember both of my boys going through a short stage of calling me Shirley and their Dad Shitsponge, but it passed. We ignored it at the time.

Although my cousin calls her parents by their first name and IT IS WEIRD.

usualsuspect3 Fri 05-Oct-12 19:39:37

I think it's up to him if he minds really. I wouldn't sweat it TBH.

ShirleyRots Fri 05-Oct-12 19:40:09

Oh and I always called their Dad "Daddy or Dad" to them, I think it's just a natural learning response, don't stress. smile

StetsonsAreCool Fri 05-Oct-12 19:48:42

My 2.4yo DD has just started shouting 'Ni night Matt' down the stairs every night. I think it's because I don't call him Daddy, but obviously she's too young to get that. It's only at night though confused

Anyway, not the point. I think if her dad is Ok being called by his real name, then that's up to him. I would find it weird, like you, but if he's uncomfortable with it, he needs to nip it in the bud. Would he tell you if it bothered him? Would he think that you'd encouraged her not to call him Dad?

alfiethetortoise Fri 05-Oct-12 20:04:01

I haven't broached the subject with him (yet) but I imagine he thinks it's a none issue. He knows that I call him 'daddy' as do all of his family and anyone else. He calls himself 'daddy' to DD when they are together alone. I suspect all this really happened simply because his girlfriend was calling him by his first name.

DD did go through a short phase of calling me by my first name, when she was very small and I didn't call myself 'mummy' in front of her. Perhaps it's just a passing phase, but I really don't like it.

UniS Fri 05-Oct-12 20:11:42

If he is OK with it don't get involved. By all means call him daddy, refer to him as daddy but some kids DO call their parent/s by first names.

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Oct-12 20:13:48

Its really not an issue. My 6 year old often calls me and his dad by our first names, and why not ? We are still his mummy and daddy

Mintberry Tue 09-Oct-12 16:59:02

Just a phase, I think, you should try not to worry. When my DP and I started living together, my SS (4 at the time) picked up on calling his mum by her first name after overhearing his dad calling her that to me. I'd just say "who?" like I didn't know what he meant and he went back to saying mummy (as I'm sure she would have been understandably bothered by this), maybe you should try this- it's a harmless and non-confrontational way of correcting it.

noisytoys Tue 09-Oct-12 17:06:32

Both my kids call their dad my his 1st name but his name is Dan which sounds a lot like dad. My name sounds nothing like mummy so they don't get them confused grin

feminewiles Tue 09-Oct-12 17:24:45

I get this saga with my kids as the oldest is a ss, so refers to dh by his name so our children get confused and call his name instead of dad. We just correct them and then ignore it.

gymboywalton Tue 09-Oct-12 17:28:13

my kids live with me and their dad and they call us both by our first names. i don't have a problem with it at all.

StrangeGlue Tue 09-Oct-12 17:32:29

You are making a mountain out of a molehill. It's up to her and him and not something worth making her feel told off about.

I called my parents by their first names until I was 5 apparently. It doesn't mean anything.

StrangeGlue Tue 09-Oct-12 17:33:51

Why is it bothering you so much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now