Talk

Advanced search

Tax credits I don't understand!!

(6 Posts)
dolallylass Mon 24-Sep-12 18:09:00

Just been made redundant. Managed to get some work earning about £300 less a month. Told tax credits and they have made an adjustment and reduced my money by a further £50. Wtf??? Please help me!!!

ChasingSquirrels Mon 24-Sep-12 18:09:59

have you gone under the hours (16 a week) limit and therefore no longer entitled to Working Tax Credit?

dolallylass Mon 24-Sep-12 18:11:13

No, gone down but from 24 hours per week to 16 hours per week.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 24-Sep-12 18:16:55

as you have posted in lone parents I am assuming you are - ie that this is a single claim not a joint one?
You should get the paperwork through in a few days (or weeks!) which will show the details of how it is calculated. You need to check everything through and ensure it is correct - and if not go back to them.
If you don't understand the calculations then find someone who does (CAB?) and get it checked out.

dolallylass Mon 24-Sep-12 18:30:49

Was on hold while I posted. I was wrong I am actually being paid £6 per month more by them. I have had a huge salary drop. But they disregard the first £2500 of the drop effective assessing me as if earn £2500 more. There's nothing I can do except contact my MP - she actually said that. sad Since my drop has been almost 5k the £2500 drop they did include only credited £6 so wouldn't make much difference anyway. Value beans all round then.

dolallylass Mon 24-Sep-12 18:31:57

Sorry yes single [very depressed] claimant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now