Talk

Advanced search

Universal credit- bit confused

(2 Posts)
Ladylou83 Mon 24-Sep-12 10:04:59

Apologies if this is a silly question, but I'm a tad confused and I can't seem to find the info I'm after on the government website.

Currently live with Dsis and dd. When I amended my tax credits after h and I seperated I told them Dsis was living with me and they said they didn't need her info because we obviously weren't partners. Am I right in thinking under the new universal credit scheme it will now be done on household? Which I'm guessing means they would then take into consideration her living with me? Very worried that I'll lose under the new scheme

purpleroses Mon 24-Sep-12 18:56:12

I don't think so - I think they are keeping the same definitions as they use at the moment of "benefit units" which include partners and dependent children, but not adult children or anyone else you live with (sisters, lodgers, etc) I think that you just see "household" mentioned as shorthand because people forget that some households are more complex and include more than one "benefit unit". If necessary, you and your DD could say you are renting a room (or rooms) from your Dsis - and just sharing kitchen, etc - just like you would if you lived in a bedsit in a shared house with people you didn't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now