Talk

Advanced search

please help me make a decision re csa

(10 Posts)
nopanicandverylittleanxiety Tue 18-Sep-12 22:10:04

My soon to be ex husband (we have been seperated 2 years but h is delaying the divorce sad) had been paying more than csa each month; but has suddenly decided to drop it down each month to 20% of his net income for our 2 children.

He has based the 20% on his net income. Bu in addition to student loan and a large pension he also pays roughly £50-60 each month in contributions such as the federation, sports and social fund, credit union etc so the net income he has worked it out on is also after they have been taken out. Is that right?

However, he is not planning to also give me 20% of his overtime or bonus payments as/if he receives those. He also sometimes pays me the child maintenance a week or so late (when he is irritated with me and when he knows I am short of money). Don't know whether to accept the amount he is saying or apply to the csa?

He is a police officer so it would be straightforward for csa to manage to collect the money each month. I believe the charges for using csa arent being brought in now?

I had asked if he would also pay half for our childrens hobbies (football and swimming) but he said no as he wouldn't choose for the boys to do those things. Unfortunately, he is about as much use as a choolate teapot as a parent.

Oh I'm new to this too. DH earns approx £1400pcm. He has agreed to pay 20% of his salary (2 children) and contribute towards a credit card we have to pay off.

He has them twice a week overnight. No idea whether this is normal or whether I should consider myself lucky (£260pcm + £140pcm towards 11k credit card). Luckily I'm not relying on him to support me as I work, but I'd be pretty pissed off if he started pulling stupid stunts like paying late or arguing over amounts.

Have you been in touch with Child Maintenance Options?

nopanicandverylittleanxiety Tue 18-Sep-12 22:34:12

Thanks curiosity

I hadn't heard of child maintenance options - I will look into it.

His net income is under £1800 pcm (not including overtime etc) and he offering to pay £360 pcm. He had previously paid £500 pcm.

I work too but can't increase my hours although my littlest one has just started school as I am currently at risk of redundancy.

nopanicandverylittleanxiety Tue 18-Sep-12 23:08:19

I have just done quite a bit of research and I think he has timed this so I don't go for the new system in October when it wll be based on gross income as that will very much benefit me (given his large pension and student loan contributions) so I will be sitting tight until then!!!

QueenofWhatever Wed 19-Sep-12 11:59:24

I referred my ex to the CSA at the beginning of last year and it was the best thing I ever did. It keeps it separate and doesn't get you into that whole discussion around after school activities etc. If he's getting overtime etc., he should AFAIK be paying part of that.

Contrary to lots of stories on here, I found the CSA really straight-forward and helpful. The whole thing took a few weeks and the form was pretty basic.

Happylander Wed 19-Sep-12 12:48:10

I know nothing about the new system basing it on gross earnings. Where is the info on that? That would also benefit me too.

Happylander Wed 19-Sep-12 12:54:31

Just read a bit about it but I am no good at these things. Just wondering if you already have money going through CSA can you then not get it reassessed when the new rules come out?? Seems rather rubbish if you can't. I would be better off as he has all sorts of things come out of his wages before he gets his net pay.

nopanicandverylittleanxiety Wed 19-Sep-12 19:27:24

Thank you for your responses QOW and Happy.

Happy - I think current cases are due t be swapped over during 2012 as far as I can see.

But one of my friends has just told me it will still not incude pensions - which doesn't seem right compared to everything I have managed to read re it being based on gross income. Confused!

STIDW Sun 23-Sep-12 19:54:42

The new "gross income" scheme is due to be implemented in October but initially new cases only will go on the scheme and existing cases will be transferred in the next year or so. At the moment the Government is consulting about charging fees so it looks as though they will be introduced later.

purpleroses Sun 23-Sep-12 21:55:42

The move to gross incomes will favour those whose exes are high earners but mean slightly less for those whose exes earn little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now