Advanced search

Does anyone else claim housing benefit?

(18 Posts)
mama2moo Fri 07-Sep-12 20:59:57

I am looking to move to a larger house and will be privately renting. I currently rent form my sibling so cant claim it at the mo.

Is it as easy as sending a form in and thats it? I have done the calculator on Entitled to and it says I am entitled to housing benefit and council tax benefit.

OP’s posts: |
hiphoppotamus Fri 07-Sep-12 23:03:41

Yeah pretty much. I completed the housing benefit forms online. It automatically covers council tax benefit too. If you go online you can check what your LHA (local housing allowance) is. As you can only apply for housing benefit once you have a rent liability i.e you've signed a tenancy agreement.

SystemofaDowny Fri 07-Sep-12 23:08:43

I think maybe you need to send supporting documents with the form i.e. copy of tennancy, bank statements. If you do it will say so on the form or they will write to ask for them later.

WildWorld2004 Fri 07-Sep-12 23:12:55

You need to remember that housing benefit is changing & will only be paid for rooms you need. So if u have 2 dc under a certain age, here it is 10, they are meant to share so u will only need a 2 bed. If u move into a 3 bed house you have to pay for the 3rd bedroom.

purpleroses Sat 08-Sep-12 08:39:06

There is a limit to how much they will pay. It won't always cover all the rent. Type LHA Direct into Google and the webpage will give you a calculator to see how much you'll get in your area. Kids under 10 are expected to share a room, and oldet kids too if same sex

mama2moo Sat 08-Sep-12 17:59:02

Thanks all.

I am looking at a 3 bedroom but have 2 daughters under 5yo. I will be paying the extra rent myself as the housing benefit wont cover it all.

Fingers crossed all goes well with the checks etc this week...

OP’s posts: |
Mobly Sun 09-Sep-12 07:58:43

My sister used to rent from me whilst on income support. Housing benefit part paid her rent (they never pay 100%). It took longer than the norm to get it all organised but they did authorise it.

There was no profit in it though (rent didn't cover mortgage, couldn't sell, in negative equity) so maybe this is why it was authorised. They asked many many questions.

MyOrangeDogShitsGoldMoney Sun 09-Sep-12 08:24:14

Yep, dead easy. I went to the council office to do it because I had no idea what I was doing. Just needed either the tenancy agreement or they can give you a form for your LL to fill in.

They were really helpful though. Good luck and well done finding a private LL!

baabaapinksheep Sun 09-Sep-12 08:29:43

You will need proof of your income, so payslips, bank statements etc. I had to provide 3 months worth, but all areas are different.

Also make sure you check with your landlord first, not that many private landlords can take hb claimants due to the terms of their buy to let mortgage.

mama2moo Sun 09-Sep-12 18:02:15

Thanks all. I have just looked at my bank statements and come across an issue...

I have a basic account for most bills but kept my exs account (we only used it for bills) and use that for some bills.

Should I print off both lots even though one isnt in my name? I will have to change the name on the bills account. Can I tell that I am in the process of this?

OP’s posts: |
boredandrestless Sun 09-Sep-12 18:08:37

Sometimes they do pay 100% Mobly it depends on a variety of factors. A couple of years ago in my old house my housing benefit was higher than my rent! Only by about £1.35 a week before any gets excited. wink

I am now in a slightly more expensive private rent and happily make up the difference myself. House isn't bigger, just in a nicer area.

mama2moo definitely get all accounts in your sole name for in future.

MyOrangeDogShitsGoldMoney Sun 09-Sep-12 18:30:41

I didn't need bank statements, just copies of my tax credits forms, child benefit forms and my last 3 pay slips. Plus my tenancy agreement.

It should say on your council's website what they'll need to see.

MyOrangeDogShitsGoldMoney Sun 09-Sep-12 18:31:35

Oh, and some utility bills to prove my address and my passport for ID.

Challen Mon 10-Sep-12 00:03:10

I'm moving into a 3 bed house. The Housing Benefit for this area of the county is £450 per month. The house costs £525 month so I have to make up the shortfall.

It doesn't matter if I find a 1 bed or 7 bed house - the maximum housing benefit I will be given is £450.

The amount varies in different areas of the country, and in villages it is slightly higher than towns.

If you can find a house to rent for LESS than the housing benefit awarded in that area, you can keep the difference.

Carolecags44 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:51:06

Is that right Challen even if you under occupy by one bedroom ? I thought they deducted the 14% per un-used bedroom from the capped amount am I wrong in thinking this anyone ?

chocolatebiscuits Fri 28-Sep-12 18:16:02

Carol - I think you're talking about social housing. The rules are different for private rented - they just give you what they think it should cost for the size of house they say you need.

feathermum21 Tue 26-Sep-17 15:38:35

Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding housing benefit but first I'll give you some background...
I'm a single mum to my soon-to-be 5 year old who has complex special needs. We currently live with family (5 adults) in a three bedroom house and share a bedroom and bed. As I said 5yo has lots of complex needs and one of them is being tube fed through the night, neither of us have had much sleep in the last two years.
I've applied to the council countless times and they've said although they acknowledge our situation is far from ideal they don't count us as a priority, I'm at my wits end.
I work 16 hours a week and we currently get working tax credit, child tax credit, and DLA for 5yo. I'm looking at private renting but I was wondering is anyone could offer any advice on how much they would likely to cover for the rent?
And if we were to get a three bedroom would they not cover anything at all? The problem I'm having is finding a two bedroom in our area and the three bedrooms are mostly the same price as two beds, some even cheaper!!
I've tried doing the online calculator but I'm finding it so confusing. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer smile

feathermum21 Tue 26-Sep-17 15:45:29

I'm so sorry just realised I posted this on your thread, can you tell I'm new 🙈

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in