Talk

Advanced search

does he have any rights?

(6 Posts)
badmummy101 Tue 25-Oct-11 08:21:25

SD is 12 his bio father has chosen not to see or speak to him since he was 3 months. Not paid maintenance, had zero input. Through his choice. His family recently called me asking to speak to ds. He does not want to, he doesn't know them. Do bio dad or his family have any rights to my son?

MrGin Tue 25-Oct-11 08:54:19

I'd think bio dad does yes in the long run. But any contact after so long would have to be at a very gradual pace, and ( I may be wrong ) but at 12 your SD's opinion / feelings would be taken into account by a court.

He / they can't just pop up out of the blue and make any demands. Suggest you post in Legal too..

Sorry, I'm sure someone with

MrGin Tue 25-Oct-11 08:54:55

... more experience will post in a minute

GypsyMoth Tue 25-Oct-11 08:55:34

No rights, only responsibilities.

badmummy101 Tue 25-Oct-11 09:09:52

Sorry meant ds not sd.

STIDW Tue 25-Oct-11 11:03:53

ILoveTIFFANY is correct. Parents don't have rights, just responsibilities. If children live with one parent it is a child's right to know and see the other parent.

In these circumstances indirect contact is usually the starting point. Children who are secure about their heritage and identity tend to grow up with better self esteem. Developing a child's understanding of an absent or previously unknown parent and their extended family can be assisted through indirect contact such as letters, cards and photos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now