Talk

Advanced search

single parent families housesharing

(8 Posts)
pofacedagainagain Sun 16-Oct-11 19:07:18

I know this is a difficult thing, but in the states there is a website for single parent families to get together for housesharing, and there is nothing like that here. I'm based in Oxfordshire and just separating with my dh now. Have two kids, boy 7 and girl 3.

I have this fantasy about joining up with another single parent family and moving to France, maybe being able to set up a gite business or something [have some capital from sale of house] but that may be a bit too adventurous for starters.

Anyway does anyone else feel like this I wonder?

ANTagony Sun 16-Oct-11 19:19:22

I did when I first separated from husband with two DS's then 1 and 3. I've always wanted to set up a gite business. Now though, 5 years on, I'm remarried and settled not far from where I was before. The fantasy was great but the reality for me was access/ visitation for the boys dad, family nearish by to help out with childcare, a drawn out period selling the family home and having tax credits and family benefit topping up my basic living that I would have lost by moving abroad. By the time I had my self in order I met husband no.2 and now we have a DD to add to the mix.

It did seam like a great idea to get together with another single parent family and share the childcare etc reciprocating to allow nights out without the extra expense and maybe even school run/ pickup sharing to allow working. I joined singlewithkids but didn't ever go to the meet ups as I'm a bit rural.

There was that programme on TV with single parents all living together communally a few years ago - seamed like a great plan but nothing appeared to ever come of it.

pofacedagainagain Sun 16-Oct-11 19:25:48

I don't think I'll remarry. I would very much like to live long term with another single parent family, but you can never rule out that they might meet someone else, as you did.

It seems a good idea and I have read about it working in the press, but it is hard to hook up with like minded people, maybe I'll have a look at singlewithkids [gulp] thankyou.

pofacedagainagain Sun 16-Oct-11 20:22:25

bump

pofacedagainagain Sun 16-Oct-11 23:32:48

bump

JustForThisOne Mon 17-Oct-11 09:22:10

Dear OP I have had this dream for long time now but I am struggling to make it happen.... people are fickle... lot of time wasters...so in my experience its a great idea but than to find someone that actually means what they say.............

JustForThisOne Mon 17-Oct-11 09:23:49

I have posted every where, I have met a few mums and their kids, me and my dc are ready to sign up.... :-)

pofacedagainagain Mon 17-Oct-11 10:10:12

Hi Justforthisone, I guess it is a difficult thing, finding someone to live with long term - how old is your dc? It is weird that there are websites in australia and us for this sort of thing but nothing in the UK - I wonder how many single parents feel isolated.

Anyway would be happy to meet up if you wanted to chat about it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now