Talk

Advanced search

unable to take dc to school

(13 Posts)
PipinJo Tue 11-Oct-11 10:20:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CristinadellaPizza Tue 11-Oct-11 10:22:34

I could find someone else to take DS if I were too ill but we only live around the corner from school.

Sounds like he would be better off at school so that you could get some rest sad

norksinmywaistband Tue 11-Oct-11 10:26:58

I got taken into hospital recently and was amazed at the support of my friends, I think tbh the biggest hurdle is asking for help, lone parents myself very much included seem to have an in built need to prove they can manage alone.
This last week has shown me that I am not alone, mind you an 8 mile journey is a long way to school imo and i am fortunate we are within catchment and its only a 15 min walk
Hope you feel better soon

SaggyHairyArse Tue 11-Oct-11 10:33:03

It depends on how old the child was and your financial situation but i'd be enclined to think about sending him in a taxi and getting the school to meet him at the gate or to get in touch with someone at your local church and ask if there was anyone who would consider chaperoning him by bus in an emergency (there is a lovely lady in the village where I used to live who used to do this sort of thing) or to put a note in the bookbags of the children in your sons class explaining your situation and asking if anyone would mind being helping you if the situation arises again.

snailoon Tue 11-Oct-11 10:36:51

Where do you live? I'll take him if I'm nearby. It's horrible to feel like you have no one to call on. People are often very generous when you are having a hard time, and there are always ways to return the favour when you are stronger.

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Oct-11 10:38:11

I would have sent him in a taxi if I literally couldn't drag myself into the car to drive, but tbh would probably just do the driving in order to get 6 hours peace in bed. Surely it's harder having a lively child at home all day than driving for 15 mins?

lightroom Tue 11-Oct-11 10:39:26

Poor you! Any chance that when you're better you could ask around and see if there are parents nearby (ish) who you could call on in an emergency to take him and say you could reciprocate? (This is what a friend of mine has had to do since her husband left). Sounds daft but it might be worth phoning the school and asking if they've got any suggestions about parents or even teachers who live nearby. The teachers in my family happily did this sort of thing in an emergency (even though it means a child getting into school v early). I really hope you feel better soon.

Bramshott Tue 11-Oct-11 10:40:11

8 miles?? Blimey, that's quite a school run! Hope you're feeling better soon.

lightroom Tue 11-Oct-11 10:42:25

mumblechum1, if it's anything like the flu I had earlier this year I didn't have the muscle strength to hold a fork, so driving would have been dangerous... And OP, definitely a day for intravenous telly for ds1 so that you can get some rest.

PipinJo Tue 11-Oct-11 11:28:55

nothaunted Tue 11-Oct-11 12:24:04

Hope you feel better soon. Phone the school and explain the situation. Perhaps they can offer help or suggestions ie get on to council for you? And definitely when you are better see if there is an emergency plan you can set up for next time? It's awful when this happens but a day or two of telly/rubbishy snacks won't harm him.

cestlavielife Tue 11-Oct-11 12:42:25

defintiely try and get transport sorted out for him - would be good for him to be more indepndent travelling to school anyway. if other children go there there may be palce in a taxi anyway.

PipinJo Tue 11-Oct-11 18:55:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now