Talk

Advanced search

advice needed on credits or benefits available for single mums

(8 Posts)
pinkkoala Mon 10-Oct-11 11:38:46

can anyone tell me if as a single mum and part time worker, minimum of 16 hrs a week i would be entitled to any extra tax credits or benefits, am i entitled to any housing benefit with mortage or private rent.

also a legal question am i allowed to take daughter to live in different area as long as its not another country, my ex h seems to tnk he will call the police if i take her to another area, i would have more family support and help in a different town.

ColonelBrandon Mon 10-Oct-11 11:41:21

Am in a similar situation and am sure better people can advise but make sure you're claiming working and tax credit and single person discount on your council tax.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 10-Oct-11 13:02:13

you can look on the "entitledto" website to see how much you'd get and it is a pretty accurate figure, well it was for me anyway.

I doubt if your ex really minds you moving out of the area. he's probably just pissed off that he won't be able to easily continue to control you if you live further away. He can call the police but he's gonna look pretty stuipid as "my wife has taken her children to another area" isn't actually a broken law last time I looked. He is bluffing.

You'll probably have to go to mediation to sort out access but if it can't be sorted and goes to a judge then I would have thought he would think the fact that you have supportive family near you is an advantage.

pinkkoala Mon 10-Oct-11 13:14:46

i think he is annoyed as he says"he doesn't want to be a weekend dad".

he is trying all sorts at the mo including threats to me, my family, threatning to take dd away and get full custody, he is nasty and aggressive and has done some violent things in front of me and dd, scaring the pants of both of us.

this is why i want a new happy life.

anybody been in a similar situation.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Mon 10-Oct-11 16:18:12

Yes, there are dozens of us. Come on over to the relationships board and join us there.

Nooster Tue 11-Oct-11 20:41:45

Get onto "entitledto" and put some figures in, I find working closer to 30 hours is better for me!

hairylights Wed 12-Oct-11 07:53:49

Would you want to be a weekend mum?

It can be seriously devastating when people's children are moved away. There is a moral issue here about what is best for your child (which surely is to have a close relationship with both parents)

hairylights Wed 12-Oct-11 07:54:57

Not excusing his bad behaviour , though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now