Advanced search

Childcare costs part time study?

(3 Posts)
FourFish Fri 30-Sep-11 11:24:22

I've posted this here and it finances so apologies is you've read this twice :-)

In January I want to start a part time classroom assistant course. The course is part time so won't affect the income support I am currently on but I will be classroom based one day a week and in a placement one day a week. The course is free but i need childcare for my 3 and 1 year olds. Is there any finical help for this? I've worked out that for the 12 month course I would need roughly £9000. I won't be a full time student so not eligable for any student finance? Any ideas?

SaggyHairyArse Fri 30-Sep-11 11:56:15

I am doing an Access to HE course at the moment and have had this dilemma.

Because you are unemployed and get tax credits as opposed to working families tax credits you won't get any childcare costs covered via WFTC.

If you contact Student Services at the college they may have funding they allocate for this but it will not cover all the costs most likely. For example, I have 3 children who have to go to afterschool club the 3 days I am in college. This comes to £63 a week, the college pays 50% of my first childs chilcare costs and 25% of the 2nd childs (nothing for the 3rd) so I have to pay £47.50 a week.

I don't get housing benefit as I have a mortgage but do get some of the interest paid on my mortgage, I have to pay the remaining £300 and all of my other bills out of my tax credits which leaves me with the princely sum of £20 a week to live on.

I am whacking all my other expenses ona credit card which I hope to pay off when I have finished the course....

ConDem = Brilliant (not)!!!!

RamblingRosa Fri 30-Sep-11 12:00:28

Gingerbread have info on what help you're entitled to as a lone parent student here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now