Advanced search

Can't afford my rent!

(5 Posts)
whethergirl Wed 21-Sep-11 13:37:23

My tenancy agreement is due and the landlord wants to increase my rent by a further £250 per month!! I am a student and receive housing benefit, and there is already a shortfall so don't think the housing benefit will give any more.

I really don't want to leave, I've been here for 6 years, ds is happy here. Does anyone know where I can go to for advice, or any organisations that can help?

OpinionatedMum Wed 21-Sep-11 13:41:21

Go to your local councils housing advice team. Also , they have local advice centres which you can find via their website.

slavetomyson Wed 21-Sep-11 14:06:09

That seems way too steep, i'm sure there must be some legality issues here.. has he given you a timeframe as to when he wants to increase it? Do you think he is trying to force you out? Might be worth going to Citizens advice aswell as the places opinionatedmum suggested. Good luck!

whethergirl Wed 21-Sep-11 15:10:49

Thank you, I will look at shelter and the local council. My college also has a housing advice department so will see them tomorrow.

Slavetomyson - it's ridiculous. I too, thought she must just want me out but can't think why, I've never been late with my rent or had any other problems. I'm surprised if it is legal tbh. I thought about CAB but they've been really understaffed of late. Anyway will look into to it when I have more time.

cestlavielife Wed 21-Sep-11 15:34:58

try shelter

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: