Talk

Advanced search

CSA or CMEC

(17 Posts)
sand12 Mon 19-Sep-11 16:47:36

Next year the CSA is going to change to a new system CMEC will this be better than CSA what do other people think ? The CMEC will get your ex's earnings from DWP and calculate a percentage of their gross wage so they can't hide behind their pensions etc if you have 2 children it will be 16% but if they earn over £800 pw you get an extra 12%! the big downside of CMEC is they are going to charge you a fee of £100 per year plus a percentage of every collection. What do other people think about this?

caramelwaffle Mon 19-Sep-11 19:22:13

Wellllll - that means lone mothers/fathers who get £5 per week (if the NRP claims full benefits) will lose c.50% of Net maintenance payments per annum.

A lot crap eh?

sand12 Mon 19-Sep-11 19:34:04

CMEC are changing the minimum amount from £5 to £7 it still doesn't cover the £100 fee! if your not working they will charge £50 instead of £100!!

rubin Mon 19-Sep-11 22:18:01

It sounds pretty appalling to me. I get little enough as it is without the CSA (or CMEC) taking more off me. Can't get my head around that. What is the precentage figure they are going to take?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Tue 20-Sep-11 11:22:09

Depends - does anyone know how much someone with 3 kids will get under the new system.

sand12 Tue 20-Sep-11 13:48:00

Rubin they are talking about 12% off ur monthly payment but it is worked out on a percentage of their gross pay not net

sand12 Tue 20-Sep-11 13:56:32

notsuch for 3 kids it will be 19% of his gross pay before anything is payed out re pensions etc

niceguy2 Tue 20-Sep-11 16:44:38

The fear I have is that CMEC will go after low hanging fruit so they can position themselves politically as a success.

So there will be a lot of temptation to go after fathers (and absent mums) who are already paying something but there is a dispute over the actual amount.

Personally those people are not the problem.

The REAL problem are those who have disappeared into a puff of smoke, who refuse to pay a penny and the self employed who hide their real income.

Those are the people whom in my opinion CMEC should be attacking with gusto.

This reminds me of when the CSA first came into being. They hounded a lot of people who were at least trying to pay something whilst letting too many people run away completely.

I also hear that CMEC is essentially the same staff so sounds to me like a marketing rebrand rather than a grass & roots rebuild.

It reminds me of that saying "You can put lipstick on a pig....but it's still a pig!"

Time will tell.

caramelwaffle Tue 20-Sep-11 17:31:12

Yes Niceguy2 Essentially, what you said ^

Meglet Tue 20-Sep-11 20:56:21

It's a fucking stupid idea that penalises parents with abusive partners who won't pay in any other way. Because I have the misfortune to have an abusive XP they think we should have less money.

Thanks Tories.

scotchmeg Mon 26-Sep-11 11:50:54

It penalises those whos partners pay then next to bugger all. It also penalises those who earn 42k (which isn't a huge amount when they could be supporting a whole other family as well) who will now have to pay (according to OP) 16% of whole income + an extra 12%.

scotchmeg Mon 26-Sep-11 11:51:42

It is also absolutely nothing to do with anything other than working out how to cut costs and tax people even more.
So now single parents are paying an extra tax of £100 a year.

scotchmeg Mon 26-Sep-11 11:52:02

Who pays the £100? The RP or NRP?

LunarRose Thu 29-Sep-11 19:53:46

Hi doe anyony know where I can get more info on CMEC, cant confirm the actual percentages anywhere and no-one I talk to seem to have a clue
confused

scotchmeg Fri 30-Sep-11 11:54:05

try this

scotchmeg Fri 30-Sep-11 11:59:55

this is better

LunarRose Fri 30-Sep-11 16:15:15

Thank you!!!!

I must be one of the few people who will really benefit from CMEC as i closes a particular loophole currently left by the CSA. I was up in arms about the idea of paying for the service however if these percentages are correct and despite paying for the service, it appears receive almost double the amount of maintenance and will have less time when maintenance is not paid.

I have always felt that relying on the NRP to provide information was completely ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now