Talk

Advanced search

Hitting! My son won't stop hitting me and other children!

(7 Posts)
poopeeplops Wed 14-Sep-11 10:06:20

My 19month old is a lovely little boy but going through hitting stage, vie tried smacking him back, saying calmly "no don't do that it's not nice" , naughty spot after one warning if he does it again but he just keep sodding it over and over, any advice please!!

poopeeplops Wed 14-Sep-11 10:07:08

Sodding??doing it over again

snailoon Wed 14-Sep-11 10:20:06

If you're trying to teach him not to hit, why would you hit? That doesn't make sense. Would you throw paint on the floor to teach him not to throw paint on the floor? Hitting kids is humiliating and it doesn't work. There are many places you can read about this issue, so I won't ramble on about it.
Tell him "We don't hit. Hitting hurts people." Put him in a room by himself for 20 seconds if he hits. Praise him and fuss over him for playing nicely, and ignore him and very briefly isolate him (people don't want to play with someone who is hitting) if he hits.

feetheart Wed 14-Sep-11 10:22:05

My DS was into biting everyone at about the same age.
I had to be behind him at all times for a while when other children were around. EVERY time he bit (or tried to) I would turn him round, get down to his level and firmly say 'No biting'. Did the same when he tried to bite me. If necessary I would take him from situation he was in and sit him down with his face/body turned away from the others. Didn't make him stay there as felt removing him and 'No biting" was enough.

It was very tiring always having to be on guard but he did stop after a while, though that might have had more to do with the fact that he bit a little girl who then whacked him - tough lesson but he learnt it!

Good luck, its horrible but just another phase smile

poopeeplops Wed 14-Sep-11 10:36:13

Thanks,i k ow hitting isn't right and I feel awful that i did but after a week of constant hitting patience wearing thin and feel in like nothin else works I jus snapped and believe me I regretted it!!

snailoon Wed 14-Sep-11 11:12:35

I wouldn't worry about getting mad, losing patience, and doing things you know aren't the best idea. Everyone does that.
It sounded from your post as though you were using "smacking" as a well considered method of teaching him not to hit: "I've tried smacking him back, saying calmly, etc", not like it was something that happened once when you were at the end of your tether.
I would never try to tell someone they are supposed to be perfect and never get angry; I didn't mean that.

poopeeplops Thu 15-Sep-11 20:21:06

Kool I think it gets read wrong on here, advice much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now