Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My son won't stop screaming! Any advice on why

(8 Posts)
poopeeplops Mon 12-Sep-11 12:06:36

My son is 19months and is going through this stage of at any time for any reason just screaming as loud as he can, it's mainly when he's frustrated but I've tried shouting, calming him down, naughty spot, smacking his hand and none of it helps. He wakes up and until I get him out of bed he just screams relentlessly! I'm really struggling to find a way that works, it's draining as it's every day for last 2weeks and I feel like I'm a crap mum n can't deal with this in the right way! Any advice much appreciated

EggyAllenPoe Mon 12-Sep-11 12:19:52

first, cut yourself a break - children do this. it is not your fault. it doesn't even mean that anything is wrong (except in the opinion of a 19 month old!)
second - is he well in himself? teething? sicky? clothes/shoes fit well?
third - I would try other methods of dealing with this either 1) no reaction. ignore. 2) cuddle (particularly effective if they go to you for a cuddle, it makes them decide they want to calm down iyswim) 3) counting up and down 4) telling a story (outloud but not to him, again, so if he wants to calm down, he can be interested in the story) 5) taking deep breaths (get them to look at you and do it with you, may be a touch young, but you never know until you try)

sometimes kids need help to calm down.

also, how late is he fed? is he waking up really hungry? does he get to go out much (crap weather i know, but it can make kids burn off energy)?

also - reacting as calmly as you can will hopefully help even if you feel it is driving you crazy. What support do you have?

EggyAllenPoe Mon 12-Sep-11 12:21:20

lots of questions sorry.

poopeeplops Mon 12-Sep-11 12:39:48

Nope sounds great, he's well in himself has a slight allergy to milk so jus turned to formula again, we go out everyday at least once to walk, park, nursery, friends, the ignoring thing I think will work during ezy but I hav a constant headache cos of it and sick of hearing my voice lol, in mornings I think ITs jus attention which I ignore but he jus doing it bigger n better, he's fed around 5ish n wakes about 6ish so shud be ok and never rushes for breakfast. Than for ur audvjce x

cestlavielife Mon 12-Sep-11 13:06:41

check for constipation . if he has some intolerances he may be constipated .

poopeeplops Mon 12-Sep-11 13:10:34

Ok than he was yesterday but never had it before, wots the signs? Anyway to help him with it?

cestlavielife Mon 12-Sep-11 14:24:30

hard small poos or lots of watery stuff (can go round a blockage) looks like diarhea.
constipation very painful. GP can feel tummy to check if there is an impaction.

try fruit juice, prune juice etc.

poopeeplops Mon 12-Sep-11 20:17:46

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now