Advanced search

OOOh quick BBC three...

(8 Posts)
FagAshLill Mon 29-Aug-11 21:03:34

The shame about single parents.

Meglet Mon 29-Aug-11 21:08:12

watching!

Kayano Wed 31-Aug-11 17:30:58

I'm not a single mum but watched this an was shocked. ESP when Jamelia got on a bus and drove past our street!

gillybean2 Wed 31-Aug-11 20:31:34

I caught part of it. Didn't find it interesting enough to watch the whole thing on i-player though

maledetta Wed 31-Aug-11 22:08:37

I did! (possibly because I have a home internet connection for the First Time Ever- sorry, just had to tell someone that..).

Hmmm.....I could have wished for a slightly more insightful interviewer than Jamelia. Someone who could really have gone to town on that awful right wing journo bint. Nice outfits though.

But, in the end, it's a positive thing that programmes with this message are being aired, even if excruciatingly dumbed down.

Solo2 Thu 01-Sep-11 07:24:22

Watched it as someone I know was in it. They missed out a major recent development in the history of solo parenting - single parents by choice - like myself. A growing contingency of women are choosing not to settle for "Mr Not-really-Right but tolerable" and going it alone, having got the resources and support in place first. Research so far indicates that children from those families do v well indeed - education of the mother and financial resources being key.

The point made in the programme near the end that it's other factors such as lack of financial resources or level of education of parent that make the difference, not the solo parenting per se - could have been emphasised a lot more.

We've moved on a lot more than the programme suggested and the fact that Jamelia kept emphasising that she felt a 2 parent family was best and she'd deprived her DCs of this, again didn't represent the thousands of women who feel that one stable, supported parent with sufficient resources is often better than unstable, conflicted, 2-parent families.

I particularly liked the example of the actor who was brought up by her single mum and her grandmother. She was a good example of how a stable family base produces a happy succeesful child. Most of us mums here would probably find life a lot easier - not with a husband - but supportive female friends/relatives, help with housekeeping/cleaning/cooking etc. I really don't feel my DCs miss out on not having a father - but they do miss out - as do I - on not having a home where there are several adults involved in doing the domestic stuff!

gillybean2 Thu 01-Sep-11 10:42:30

Yeah it was far too dumbed down. Hence why I wasn't more interested in it enough to watch the whole thing.

Please could we have some real programs on it. A panorama special or Horizon program might be more punchy grin

pickgo Thu 01-Sep-11 11:08:00

But Prof Lamb from Cambridge at the end was soo interesting. He said the factors which effect children and lead to maladjustment are relationships, conflict and socio/economic factors. And that lp's tend to be more at the mercy of these and that's why the statistics for lps look worse. As Solo says not about lps per se. (A good, clear explanation of why ea dads shouldn't be allowed contact too imho)

I too thought Jamelia was deplorably unchallenging in her questions and seemed to have very low self-esteem and self-confidence. Although she would have got a flaming if she'd dared to say, actually being a lp is great!

A Pan or Horiz is a great idea gilly. We could do a mass mn email. (and really put the kybosh on it) grin

PS Maleddeta - I know what you mean about the broadband. We got ours last Xmas and DS said he didn't want any other pressies. Also I've just cancelled my TV licence as we hardly ever watch live tv now just iplayer, so it's paying for itself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now