Advanced search

Applying for daughters' passports, help!

(12 Posts)
LeaLea80 Tue 09-Aug-11 15:21:06

Just wondering if anyone has had this before, or any help on this matter would be appreciated...
My passport is in my married name, it's only a couple of years old and not having much money to throw around don't particularly want to have to fork out £77.50 just to change my name back to my maiden name quite yet. Thing is i need to get my daughters passports.

Do i go ahead and sign everything on their applications in my married name (the name on my passport)? Or am i going to have to get mine changed back before i can apply for theirs?

LeaLea80 Tue 09-Aug-11 15:22:42

Sorry, forgot to say, i'm now divorced, and have changed my name back to my maiden name by deed poll.

CaptainNancy Tue 09-Aug-11 15:26:20

Her passport will only have her details printed on it, so it won't matter if you change your name (back) at a future date.

The signature box on the passport will be blank (marked 'no need for signature' or something) even though you sign on the application form- your signature is held on file, but not put onto her passport.

PotteringAlong Tue 09-Aug-11 15:27:37

Don't take my word for it, but my understanding is that the UK is one of the few places where you can have 2 'official' names so your passport and other id doesn't have to match - you should be able to sign in your maiden name.

What's on your passport shouldn't impact ob your Children's passport I don't think?

CaptainNancy Tue 09-Aug-11 15:28:41

AFAICR the proof you need for application is your passport number, father's passport number (assuming he has PR as you were married?) and her birth certificate (will have whatever name you used when she was born).

rubin Tue 09-Aug-11 15:35:28

You won't need her father's passport number in order to get daughters passport. Only need your own one & your signature.

LeaLea80 Tue 09-Aug-11 15:37:45

thanks for the replies,
my passport number isn't a problem, her father does have PR but is actually in prison right now (best out of that one!!) but i spoke to the passport office and they said i can just leave his bit blank.
my eldest has my maiden name on her birth certificate as we werent married when she was born, but if the passport office has already had my documents to prove my name change after marriage, surely they would make the connection themselves and i shouldnt need to send in marriage certificate to prove im her mother?? and therefor should just apply in my married passport name, rather than my divorced maiden name?? aghhhhh!!!

JaneBennet Tue 09-Aug-11 15:44:05

Ring the helpline and ask them. Just renewed our passports and was most annoyed to only find out some information once I'd got to the passport office. However, the woman serving me was lovely and explained that the call centre can put you through to an agent if they are unable to ask your question directly.

roseyposeysmum Wed 10-Aug-11 08:33:02

So you only need your passport number etc - i want to do my daughters without involving the waste of space that is her father.

JaneBennet Wed 10-Aug-11 08:34:14

Yes definitely only need mother's details. I didn't have my husband's passport number as he's out of the country and they said it was fine.

oldraver Mon 15-Aug-11 22:58:26

Sorry if you have this covered already, but if you are bookign tickets just make sure they are in the exact name on your passport (you said you were now using your maiden name again)..

I decided to revert to my maiden name, told my folks and the following week my Mum booked a last minute holiday in my maiden name. I had to change my passport pronto grin

TastyMuffins Tue 16-Aug-11 07:32:05

I never changed my name when I married so no problem there in my case, as I don't have a British passport, they had my info from DS (who did have British passport) birth certificate. I had problems with the father's passport number bit as my ex refused to give his number, I phoned the passport office and was told I could just write 'Father refuses to give number' but was concerned that with a different surname and nationality to DS and this on the record it might make things a but awkward. I was able to get DS same citizenship as me and get same passport much easier as didn't even need Ex's consent!

Later found out his passport had expired anyway...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: