Talk

Advanced search

Help! It's my DD 1st birthday - need ideas for a seriously low budget!

(5 Posts)
HettySpaghetti Sun 07-Aug-11 09:25:53

Hi my DD is one at the end of Sept. I'd love to throw a party for all her friends and family etc but I'm broke. I'm on maternity leave and not getting any money now so things are really tight. I want to make it so special because she is the sweetest most easy going baby and I want to thank her for being so good for me! I'd have a picnic but the weather will be too cool I imagine. So it would have to be in my home. I also don't know what you would serve the LO. This is all new to me so if anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it!

HoneyPablo Sun 07-Aug-11 09:30:43

Invite all your friends and family and ask them all to bring a plate of food. They really won't mind (and if they do, they are not worth bothering with).
All you need to supply is some tea/coffee/wine/beer and a cake (or make lots of little cup cakes)
Go to the pound shop and buy a big banner and some balloons. Make a cd of party songs. Take some photos as your DD won't remember it. After the party, send everyone who attended a handwritten letter thanking them for coming and making the party such fun.
It doesn't have to be expensive.
Most of all, enjoy it!

triskaidekaphile Sun 07-Aug-11 09:38:26

Aww! Sweet post. Congratulations on your gorgeous sounding baby being nearly one! She (and any other babies of her age who come) won't mind too much what you do- they're a bit young for anything formal really- so it's mostly a matter of entertaining the adults and providing some snacks and drinks. And making/buying a cake with a candle on! Should all be fairly cheap if you shop around. Are your parents/other family as excited as you? If so it might be worth asking them to bung you £20 to help out or maybe to bring some food along?

MadameLupino Sun 07-Aug-11 09:52:57

The MN fave of a helium balloon in a box works at that age.
Good idea re the bring-a-plate party

At that age I made a huge sponge cake, topped with whipped cream and berries at the last minute and a few sandwiches for adults. Toys from the car boot/NCT sale and lots of balloons and glitter. She still played with the box more grin.

MeMySonAndI Sun 07-Aug-11 12:40:03

At that age, I sent a cake to the nursery and that was about it. He really didn't enjoy crowded situations at that age, and didn't understand the concept of birthday parties.

I got him the best gift that I could though, and had a little cake with a candle with us and a couple of close friends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now