Talk

Advanced search

Abused in the street for being a mum.

(19 Posts)
lorna220210 Fri 29-Jul-11 14:18:51

I am a single 19 year old working mum. Since i had my daughter 17 months ago iv noticed alot of people pulling me pretty odd looks but today i was just doing some clothes shopping and a lady about 50 years old actually came up to me and told me i was disgusting for having a child so young she then started telling other people in the street how she thought it was wrong and that all teenage parents are useless.. Kinda just made me wonder what other people think.

rainbowinthesky Fri 29-Jul-11 14:21:01

You were just unfortunate to meet a nutter.

seeker Fri 29-Jul-11 14:21:31

Don't believe this happened, sorry. Or if it did, she was a random loony who should be if ores.

seeker Fri 29-Jul-11 14:21:59

Ignored

RitaMorgan Fri 29-Jul-11 14:23:01

Don't take it to heart, some people are just nutters. If you were 45 she'd have probably had a go about you being too old.

DooinMeCleanin Fri 29-Jul-11 14:24:20

I don't think 19 is that young tbh. Just ignore her/them.

lorna220210 Fri 29-Jul-11 14:25:53

Im just in shock! I ended up coming home because i felt like i couldnt relax because i had to look like the best mum in the world :/

gillybean2 Fri 29-Jul-11 16:12:52

Maybe you look younger than you are.
I presume you don't go round wearing an 'I am 19' badge..?

So she made an assumption about your age. To which you simply respond "It's such a nightmare when you look young for your age pity the same can't be said for you, thanks for your comments but I really am old enough to have a baby and make my own decisions in life and can even vote and drink legally should I want too!"

molepom Fri 29-Jul-11 16:19:02

Comments like that really get to you some days. Mostly you can just ignore them but sometimes you want to give them a piece of your mind. Most old dears are lovely and those are the ones that you will remember.

JillyArmeen Fri 29-Jul-11 19:46:52

some people are judgemental, its their problem not yours. ive had similar not in a nasty way an old woman came up to me at the bus stop telling me ' you girls are getting younger and younger having babies' im 25! dont let it get to you, anyone with sense knows age has no bearing on your ability as a parent, sure your doing a great job smile

SpanglyGiraffe Fri 29-Jul-11 20:43:41

I'm in a similar situation to you OP, and get exactly the same treatment! I just keep telling myself that they have no idea what they're talking about.

It's none of their business, and like people have said, it's their problem, not yours!

pictish Fri 29-Jul-11 20:45:26

Sounds like a right bampot.

tigerlillyd02 Fri 29-Jul-11 21:08:03

For some reason everyone seems to notice you when you have children. I have more people than ever speaking to me since becomming a parent.
The 'not so nice', interfering comments just go completely ignored.

Henrythehappyhelicopter Fri 29-Jul-11 21:12:01

My DD has the same problem, she is 22 but looks 16.

I would just ingnore her, her opinion doesn't count for anything.

smokinaces Fri 29-Jul-11 21:17:10

Try and ignore it.

I have a 4yr old and a 3yr old. Both look 2 years old. I am nearly 29, but still get IDd and often told I look early 20s. So I get a lot of bad looks and comments too.

Its hard, but try and ignore it.

smokinaces Fri 29-Jul-11 21:17:35

*2 years OLDER. So they look 6 and 5.

HomemadeCommunistRussia Fri 29-Jul-11 21:20:46

Like someone said you probably look young. ( no excuse though )

Random nutters everywhere. Don't let it bother you.

kickingking Fri 29-Jul-11 21:23:17

I had a few people 'tsking' at me when I was pregnant and DS was a baby - I was 28. Didn't look it, but still!

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

weimy Fri 29-Jul-11 21:38:30

my dad was 18 when I was born, don't worry take it as a compliment you must look younger than you are smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now