Advanced search

Single Mums going to University..?

(34 Posts)
NeverFullyDressedWithoutASmile Fri 22-Jul-11 19:56:04

I'm looking for some advice about grants and finance while going to Uni.

My DS is nearly 4 and will be at school when I go and I just wondered if there are any other single parent mums who are braving higher education and if you can please give me some advice (ie figures) of grants and loans available to single parents who are at University?

I've had a look on the website and on the University websites but they're all a bit vague and say "you can apply for...." rather than saying that if you're a single mum on benefits, you will get £x to live on, which will give you a budget of £x a week grin

Any advice etc very gratefully received!!

By the way, I'm off to study to be a teacher, thus hopefully landing me with a career, income and pension... or let's hope anyway!!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 14-Aug-11 19:22:21

Too true...I am looking forward to being in the job in 4-5 years. I am not looking forward to the path to get there. Where are you training? What subject? I think I will start a new thread...

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 14-Aug-11 19:30:38

Have started new thread. Have aimed it at trainee teachers cos that's what we all seem to be heading for. Appologies if I got that wrong..all welcome.

[[ here]]

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 14-Aug-11 19:31:21

working link

boxingHelena Sun 14-Aug-11 23:05:32

do you get grants and support also if your dcs are older than 7?

missmogwi Mon 15-Aug-11 00:02:02

Yep, it's not like income support. Think it's up to 16. Claim everything you can, as LP there is a lot of help. Good luck!

MetalSian Mon 15-Aug-11 10:58:58

As of tonight I believe I will also be in the single mum going to university boat.

Well college actually, I am starting a HND in Business in September, two years of that then an extra for the full degree.

Suddenly seems more daunting now I will be single, but luckily for me it is only one day a week at the college.

bobby39 Sun 21-Apr-13 19:17:22

I am interested in going to university as I cannot survive on benefits. I would also like to get a job where I can afford to live comfortably instead of struggling all the time I think I would also enjoy getting an education.
I believe I would have to do an access to higher education course first though to do a degree as it is so long since I gained my last qualfications.
Would I get enough financial help to live on doing a non degree course first. Or if I did a part time access course would I get help with living expenses?

ManateeEquineOhara Sun 21-Apr-13 19:28:46

I have studied at undergrad, masters and now PhD as a single parent. Financially undergraduate is fine as you get loans (unlike masters which is v. hard), I worked also as you don't get wtc if you don't do 16 hours work (you would get ctc though and housing benefit). You can also now get the NSP fee waiver and depending on your Uni some kind of access bursary. These are at different levels depending on your household income as assessed by Student Finance England (or Wales/Scotland depending were you are). The loan company should send this info to your Uni so you only need to make one application to the loan company but you must apply for means tested and also agree to share your financial information with the Uni (I now work part time in student services so explain this often!).

Foxy800 Sun 21-Apr-13 20:04:18

i am studying as a single mum as well as working through the open university. The first 2 yrs I did were as part of a couple but this year I am studying as a single mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now