Talk

Advanced search

Best excuse for lateness?

(15 Posts)
FourFish Tue 19-Jul-11 21:02:58

My ex was as usual 30 mins late picking up the girls on Saturday and his excuse was 'he needed the toliet so missed the train'. He has no health problems to justify this :-) And last time I checked there were toliets on the train...
The other brilliant excuse (out of the millions) was when he rolled up 2 hrs late and explained it wasn't his fault, his girlfriend who was suppose to drive him to the meet point had decided she was too tired so he'd had to catch the train instead!
So whats the best you've had? Do I win?

mrscolour Tue 19-Jul-11 21:10:15

Ex was once 45 mins late bringing the kids back because ds had filled his nappy!

Mitmoo Tue 19-Jul-11 21:17:25

At the risk of boring MN's to death this weekend as I have posted endlessly, sorry, my ex didn't bring son home on the same day, got the child to tell me and returned him 24 hours late. Now hes mad at me that, that is the last time he gets to take him away. Well tough on him.

I'd be glad for just a 45 minute or similar delay.

susiesheep2 Wed 20-Jul-11 12:01:21

Ex was late and missed DD1 induction day at school after an almightly kick off that he was going to be there - his excuse "heavy traffic" - it was 1.30pm in the afternoon on a thursday rofl.

whiteandnerdy Wed 20-Jul-11 12:58:54

Can I just say that once I did the school run and when I got to school, instead of the milling about of parents and children there was nobody there ... I mean not a soul.

I'm thinking what the hell, is school closed ... another one of those INSET days, what's going on. Well I pull up and all the teachers cars are in the car park so I take the children into school. Sure enough schools open, I just can't understand what the hell is going on.

I then take a look at my phone to see that the time is 10:00, I was getting the kids ready looking at just the miniutes my brain simply didn't register it was 9 o'clock. You have a routine where kids should be in uniform at say ten-past, having breakfast by half-past, and then in the car at say quarter-to. My brain simply failed to register the hour as I simply just looked at the minitues on the clock. It wasn't clocks back or any other logical reason for loosing an entire hour I just lost an hour for no apparent reason! If any finds my missing hour could you send it to me please.

berkshirefem Wed 20-Jul-11 15:39:36

I get "traffic was bad" a lot, even though he's been posting on facebook (from PC not phone) way after he should have left the house to get to me. This is usually if he is fetching DD and knows I need to be out for something at a certain time. I've also had, "sorry my mate called me and i don't drive while I'm on the phone" said with self satisfied arent-i-responsible smirk... err, responsible would be telling th emate that you have committed to fetching your child and will have to call back!

From DSD's mum we don't even get excuses though so at least my ex has the courtesy to lie. she will often arrive an hour late to pick up DSD from our house. We ask her to do one of the drives a week and she is pretty pissed off about this hence the lateness.

berkshirefem Wed 20-Jul-11 15:40:45

Oh dear white I bet you were irresponsible ex husband fodder for a while for that one! grin

ButWhyIsTheRumGone Wed 20-Jul-11 19:52:12

my ex is the king of lame excuses for being late. he once turned up 6 hours late after numerous phonecalls from me and his mum(unanswered) with the excuse he overslept. he has been late because his tyre blew up hmm he had to take his friend to hospital,his alarm didnt go off,traffic etc.

he also has many many excuses for not turning up at all,which he shares hours after he was meant to pick ds up. these include:broken toe,headache,flu,was in a&e (i checked, he wasnt),his car wont start and its TWO buses to my house.

its a running joke now, even ds knows not to expect daddy to be on time and when he is ds pretends to pass out from shocksmile

TastyMuffins Wed 20-Jul-11 21:01:10

When my ex was on long term sick leave with a bad shoulder/arm/wrist/whatever, he was supposed to pick up DS from nursery each day as I could not get back from work on time. one day he phoned about two o'clock in the afternoon to say he couldn't pick DS up because he was sailing with his mates from the yacht club and was currently moored off Clacton and had decided to stay because he'd never been to Clacton before and really wanted to have a look around! I did suggest that going sailing while unable to work was a bit odd, so he said he was just watching and not actually involved in actively sailing. I suggested he got a train back to London to pick up DS because I did not finish work in time. He said he would like to but he didn't have his debit card with him as for safe keeping he hadn't taken his wallet on the trip and didn't want to ask his mates for money as how bad would that make him look?

I gave up realising the whole story was likely to be a lie so I didn't even bother to remind him that I had taken him to Clacton before!

Most of my exes fantastic excuses have really been for cancelling contact rather than plain old lateness. He's more likely to bring DS back earlier rather than later and get upset and agitated if I'm not able to be there earlier.

ladydeedy Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:36

What about this : we had collected DH's kids on Christmas eve to spend Christmas week with us - they were due to be returned to EXW on 30th December. We received a text 12 hours after collecting to them to say she was going on holiday that day, and "unfortunately" not able to return and have the children back until mid January. Oh, and could we let them know?
now THAT is what I call LATE.

blackeyedsusan Thu 21-Jul-11 21:02:02

she'd not even told them? shock

ladydeedy Fri 22-Jul-11 12:29:49

No, they had no idea. None of us had a clue till she sent a text from the airport. Obviously it had been planned for weeks if not months...
Amazing but true.

slavetomyson Fri 22-Jul-11 21:05:52

Well all these men and their excuses hey.. it's no wonder, they're on to a jolly with their new lives and lie in opportunities and mini breaks with new lovers etc etc. I guess if I had it that good i'd be full of lies to an ex too!! (but never at the expense of my DS of course)! These men need to get their priorities right, they were keen enough to make a baby, they should be keen enough to pull their fingers out and grow a pair and MAN UP!!

blackeyedsusan Sun 24-Jul-11 13:31:13

they were not all men...

UnsureRightNow Sun 24-Jul-11 22:59:12

XH is always late (from 5 min to an hour). One weekend when I asked why he was late again as DC was particularly upset he replied that he felt bad leaving his new GF in bed alone. When I pointed out that DC was upset and wasn't it more important not to be late for DC he couldn't see my point.

Don't even bother asking him why he's late anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now