Talk

Advanced search

Self Employed ExP's and the CSA

(14 Posts)
trinni Tue 05-Jul-11 18:32:25

Please can I ask, has anyone ever obtained a variation of child Maintenance from the CSA, that's actually worked in their favour?

I applied for more - it has been reduced.

Exp is self employed, director of a private limited company and I strongly suspect him of manipulating his income (says he's an employee and earns £130 per week! ) Also I'm sure there is a diversion of income going on as his wife is a lso a director and no doubt a majority share holder.

We have 2 dc and he pay £14 pw! I hate him!

WibblyBibble Tue 05-Jul-11 21:48:18

They are supposed to take lifestyle into account, so if he's living like someone who has more than £130 a week, they should treat it accordingly. I don't know whether they really do this, though. Can you appeal the reduction? That sounds really unfair and he's a complete dickhead for neglecting his children financially llike that!

trinni Tue 05-Jul-11 22:08:39

Dickhead doesn't even begin to cover it Wibbly. He chooses to ignore both moral and lawful responsibilities to the children and I feel as though I have my hands tied behind my back.

Funny thing is, when he was paying via a court order, he had no trouble paying £400 per month. The CSA are just so crap!

I have spoken to one of the CSA's complex case workers who suggested I apply for a variation, so I've emailed them today for the forms to be posted. It all takes so long though <sigh>

evolucy7 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:44:07

Yes apply for a variation it can work.

My ex was paying £5 per week based on the same sort of £130 per week, he pays into a pension so his weekly income he said was less than £100. I filled out the variation form just on the basis that it was absolute rubbish that someone who paid for housing, bills, car, food etc earnt less than £100 per week. And on top of that they wouldn't be paying into a pension if they had £130 per week, they would need it to live on.

The £130 per week is the tax free amount. You need to ask about dividends he pays himself from the company? Although my ex is not re-married or anything so only he can take the money from the company.

In the variation form I did basically say it was ridiculous of course he didn't live on less than £100 per week and if it was not resolved I would contact my MP. It was resolved still only half of what it used to be, but 10 times more than £5 per week.

However if he lives with a new wife what does she pay for? Does she have an income other than from the business?

trinni Wed 06-Jul-11 16:58:05

Thanks evolucy

I emailed the CSA last night and asked them to post the variation forms to me.

Today, a complex case worker contacted me to let me know we could side-step all the form filling as I'd provided all the info they need at this point.

The guy I spoke to was very clued up and has given me a renewed confidence in the CSA. They will be speaking to exp to ask for his business accounts etc tomorrow.

It seems there are ways and means of pasting him into a corner!

trinni Sun 28-Aug-11 21:16:09

Just an update ....

My variation has been successful it seems. So, rather than paying £56 per month, he is now ordered to pay £650! Yay!

All that remains is for him to actually cough up. I have my reservations but I'm told they do have ways of enforcing payment.

Poshbaggirl Sun 28-Aug-11 21:22:31

Trinni, that is amazing! I'm so envy!!
I get £6.50 a week. I'm having a nervous breakdown with my life at the moment. But i still have to provide everything for 2 kids. Its unbelievable what these bastards get away with.

trinni Sun 28-Aug-11 21:46:03

Oh Posh, so sorry for you...It's so infuriating I know and I've been in just your position for a long while. Particularly when you know fine well they can afford to pay more!

Mine was just being a greedy bastard and he thought he was getting away with it. Well, not any more.

The CSA have all sorts of ways of unearthing personal details about absent parents if they feel like it. It took some pushing on my part and a fair amount of repeating myself but once they got stuck in, that was it! It actually hasn't taken too long.

My advice to you is...If you think he's hiding income, or earns more than he says he does, apply for a variation - it can work.

Gonzo33 Mon 29-Aug-11 07:10:45

I'm glad I have read this. My ex husband has just gone s/e fully admitting to me to get out of paying anything for our ds. You have just given me renewed hope in the CSA

Poshbaggirl Mon 29-Aug-11 07:16:27

You may get it backdated too!

Unfortunately the only thing he's hiding from everyone is that he should have gone bankrupt years ago. But he's too damned proud. He could have been free of all his debts by now. He has nothing. I've even had my BF give him work, he's been too proud to thank me even for that. Just wish someone had given me dating advice 20 yrs ago.

trinni Mon 29-Aug-11 10:30:56

Gonzo33 I'm pleased it's given you some encouragement to seek what's fair for your ds. I hope others will see this thread too.

Doesn't it make you want to strangle exH, when they openly admit to not wanting to pay for their children? Mine is exactly the same and really, it's directed straight at me - he will not let go of ill-feeling and TBH it was him who had an affair and ruined our marriage. I was expected to forget about it!

Now, ten years later (he is remarried / I am not), he's still behaving like an irresponsible twat.

trinni Mon 29-Aug-11 10:32:27

Posh, you're in a difficult position, I can see.

Dating advice would have been good yes!

corlan Mon 29-Aug-11 10:54:30

Trinni - that is wonderful news. Gives us all a bit of hope.

Wouldn't you have loved to see his face when he got the letter from the CSA telling him that he had to pay up grin

trinni Mon 29-Aug-11 18:53:18

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

The guy from the CSA was intending to deliver the good new in a 'phone call and then follow it up with a letter - I've had my letter so, he must have heard by now!

He failed, on numerous occasions to provide his self assessment tax return, preferring to lie and pretend he is an employee and on the payroll. So, tough luck; I provided them with his business accounts and a copy of the document proving he is a director.

He also lied and gave a false address - I also furnished them with all the info regarding his mortgage and how much he paid for his property and when.

I bet he is absolutely livid- with me! I don't care!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now