Talk

Advanced search

step parent

(4 Posts)
superwomen20 Tue 05-Jul-11 16:29:18

Hi my Ds is 18 months old his bio father has had no contact with him since he was 4 weeks old he has never supported or provided for him. Bio dad has been in and out of prison, has an asbo, probation orders and also a restraining order not to contact or come to my address for the next 2 years. I recently applied for a residency order which I was given as he's threatened to take my ds several times. During our "relationship" there was domestic abuse. He has recently applied for contact waiting for a date for finding of fact hearing. My hubby and I have spoke about hubby adopting ds how likely does anyone think this would be or applying for a step parent responsibility order.

gillybean2 Tue 05-Jul-11 17:14:07

I assume your ex has PR? If he was named on your ds's birth certificate he will have it.

Adoption is unlikely unless your ex agrees to it. Given that he is wanting contact now that seems unlikely imo.

Step parent responibility order, again depends on your ex's attitude and agreement (or lack of).

What contact have you offered? Court will likely order some unless you can prove he is a danger to your ds. And even then they may still agree to it at a contact centre.

superwomen20 Tue 05-Jul-11 21:43:50

Hi
Yes ex has Pr, no he wont agree to adoption. If he doesn't agree to my hubby having PR will it be up to a judge to decide?
I'm opposed to all contact except indirect letters photos etc We've got a finding of fact hearing in 2 months then after this the judge wants a section 7 report doing.

niceguy2 Tue 05-Jul-11 22:57:59

The question which will you will need to answer at court is why he is not to be trusted to be a decent father. OK, it's obvious he's not a good partner for you....but that doesn't mean he automatically would be a bad father.

As for step parent responsibility order. If bio-dad is opposing it at this stage I wonder if court may think its too early to order it against his wishes.

In practice PR gives very little and giving it to your husband I think may just make an already complicated situation even worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now