Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help with childcare when i'm a student

(7 Posts)
scabbysnake Thu 30-Jun-11 14:28:34

going back to college this year. the college says there is'nt much chance of getting help with childcare as the buget has been cut. the year before last i had 90% paid so was very lucky. does anyone know if there is any help i can get to help with childcare if i am on income support pleae.

PaigeTurner Thu 30-Jun-11 19:08:03

I hope someone has an answer to this, I wanted to do an access course this year but can't find ANY info on childcare help, only for university.

WelshCat Thu 30-Jun-11 19:11:57

cant be a huge amount of help, but at my last lone parent job centre thingy, DS is 10 months old, i said i wanted to go to college etc and what about childcare. and they basically said 'its not our problem'. obviously i was not impressed, so i went on a rant about how at least im willing to train so i never have to sign on again, but they said unless the college you apply to has a creche and you get in, they cannot provide any funds.

i emailed a few colleges, and they said they offer a hardship fund, but im assuming thats what youre referring to when you say they have had their budget cut.

so not looking good im afraid, bloody sucks mind.

scabbysnake Thu 30-Jun-11 20:02:37

when i was at college the year before the people at the job centre said that they would pay 80% (think they meant tax credits) but as my college were doing 90% i didn't need. but like you i asked at my last one and the lady basically said its not her problem and when was i going to start looking for a job.
does anyone know how old your yougest child has to be to come off income support? i was told by her that it was 5 but i thought it was 7. she said that i may only be able to finish half my course but would chat next time!
just hope that my college is willing to help lone parents in our postion who want to better ourselfs.

WelshCat Thu 30-Jun-11 21:56:52

they told me it was five, the government keep changing it lower. when my mum was a single parent it was 16! but now its 5, then they put you on jobseekers, so if you are in training or on a course they can make you quit it coz you need to be available for work 24/7.

it is shocking, as i thought they would be more supportive of people who were really making a go of their future rather than those who just stick it out in temp/menial jobs which may not last.

pickgo Thu 30-Jun-11 22:05:45

What course is it Scabby?

HE (uni) all have good hardship funds and there are loads of bursaries for particular qualifying students. Hardship funds allocate on first come first served - so apply asap.

pickgo Thu 30-Jun-11 22:06:28

Another thought - Nat Union of students are a great source of support and advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now