Talk

Advanced search

Help! Looking for your views on being a lone parent

(10 Posts)
fionafebruary Sat 28-May-11 12:17:51

Hi,

I am lone parent to a two year old boy since myself and my husband separated in July last year. I am also a student and am currently doing a research project on public perceptions of the single mother and the labels attached to it, such as being perceived by others as a 'scrounger' or 'bad mother'. I have experienced both of these things myself and am interested to see if anyone else has experienced anything along these lines.

I would be interested to hear about your own personal experiences, how many children you have, your feelings, how you get by financially (whether your work, claim benefits, receive any maintenance (and whether that maintenance is enough for you to support your family), how you manage childcare and whether you feel that you have felt stigamatised by others. I'd also love to hear any of your opinions on whether you feel that the media portrays us accurately, whether the government cuts to tax credits etc.. have affected you and what you would like to see changed.

I also have a short questionaire that I could email you if you'd like to participate - so let me know.

I would really love to hear all your opinions no matter what they are as I think it's important that we can voice how we feel as single parents and how difficult it can be juggling everything

I understand that some of these issues are quite personal but I would really love to hear from you and hear what real mums have to say on the subject.

Thanks in advance!!!

Fiona

gillybean2 Sat 28-May-11 12:33:44

I think you need to contact MN to request info and post surveys etc like this.
Best to check with them on this first imo

fionafebruary Sat 28-May-11 12:37:59

Thanks, I will do that - but the survey is optional and I would send it via email, not forcing anyone to participate.

Just want to hear your opinions that's all - and this is what this group is about so hopefully it should be fine. x

teahouse Sat 28-May-11 12:48:49

Could you also inform us of your ethical guidelines and what procedures you have in place for anonymity and confidentiality. As an academic I would also wish to know who to contact for confirmation. I am assuming you have ethical clearance from your department so none of this should be tricky to provide (including your real name of course)

fionafebruary Sat 28-May-11 13:11:56

I am an Access student at the moment and obviously we have ethical guidelines for which to follow, as well as confidentiality etc.. I will send you a message with my details so that you can follow it up should you wish, however I only have a few days to get this done and being the weekend my tutor will only be available on Monday. Let me know if you'd like me to do this.

In terms of anonymity, MN is pretty anonymous as there is not much personal information sharing on here and I'm just looking for peoples opinions, that's all. If people would prefer not to discuss emotive issues then that is there choice, and that is also why the questionaire would be anonymous. I am not an academic so this is new territory for me too.

gillybean2 Sat 28-May-11 15:20:44

I think you should approach MN and ask them if this falls inside their requirements for media requests and get guideance on your survey too.

tbh I'm not happy to answer anything from what you've said so far. Why is it all such a rush anyhow?! Monday is a bank holiday so how is your tutor going to be available then... hmm

fionafebruary Sat 28-May-11 15:31:05

@gillybean2 Totally forgot Monday was a Bank Holiday. It's a rush because I have been in hospital and have a young child to look after so a research project has been on the bottom of my list of priorities till now especially as I only get childcare today.

Nevermind, I have found people happy to answer my survey elsewhere. I would hardly consider what I'm asking a 'media request' and to be quite honest with you I'm not going to waste my time debating the in's and out's of everything with you. Yes, you are an academic as you pointed out, and I'm just a lowly student trying to meet to the conditions of a very good university offer with a hyperactive two year old in tow and work coming out of my ears.

I think this is the reason I never joined MN in th first place - it's a bit like the cult which is the NCT..........! x

gillybean2 Sat 28-May-11 15:49:20

I never pointed out I was an academic. You are confusing me with a previous poster...

And students posting surveys do need to go through the media request process on here I believe. I suggested you find out in your situation as the area sees grey to me from your post but you were asking people t o complete a survey.

Would like to mention I've happily answered many surveys posted on the media request section here. Just your request seems a bit mickey mouse. Ok you admit it is rushed, but that's hardly our fault. If you want proper results for your work it's better to do it properly rather than rush isn't it? I'm sure your tutor would make allowances given what you've on your reasons for the rush.
I'm glad you've managed to get what you need elsewhere though.

fionafebruary Sat 28-May-11 16:49:21

My tutor already has made allowances, but my deadline is Tuesday. Sorry for mixing you up with whoever else it was. Thanks everyone for your help.

Doowrah Sat 28-May-11 18:13:51

Christ...I feel for you fionafebruary...glad you got it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now