Talk

Advanced search

Solo flight with a 16 month old

(15 Posts)
Ettylou Wed 25-May-11 19:11:56

Good evening all, I was wondering if you could give me some advice. In 3 weeks I'll be flying to Spain using Ryanair with my 16 month old son! I've never flown with him (or any child/toddler before) so I have no idea what to expect?!
I have got a cheap light weight buggy to take with me; do I get to take this right to the plane? Also do I have to take him out of it to go through security? Do parents with children get called to the plane 1st? I haven?t purchased the priority boarding tickets because every time I?ve flown with Ryanair, everyone buys them now so there?s really no benefit! And I really don?t mind boarding after all the chaos & rush. Which seat is better to sit in? I was thinking aisle seat? Zack really hates sitting on my lap which I?m dreading! I'm hoping because it?s all strange he won?t mind too much. I have already purchased some new singing flashing toys to keep him occupied. Once the seat belt sign goes off can I let him toddle up & down the aisle? I just hope I'll be sitting next to someone nice & lucky enough to have a friendly flight crew smile
Anyway all advise greatly received xx

gillybean2 Wed 25-May-11 19:30:23

Not used Ryan air so don't know their procedure but have flown abroad (further) before.

I wouldn't worry too much about toys. Only take a very few in hand lugage. It's most likely the dronning engine will send him to sleep, especially if he tends to fall asleep in the car...?

Do make sure you have a drink for take off and landing, or some sweets to suck if he'll suck one. Otherwise he'll get terrible ear pain. Take a sipper cup and buy some drin once you're past security and pour it into the sipper cup.

Yes the buggy has to go through the xray. So make sure you can get it folded down easily without having to remove too much luggage from it whilst also hanging on to your disappearing ds. Do you have reins for him or a wrist strap? Might be useful to get some if you don't.

good luck, hope you have a great time once you get there! smile

Ettylou Wed 25-May-11 20:02:17

That's Great, thanks smile Yes i have reins for him so I'll attach those ready. The flight takes off at 10.30, which is around his nap time so I'm hoping he will sleep! Knowing my luck he prob wont shock
xxx

Mareta Wed 25-May-11 21:17:17

I have never used raynair since DD has been born. I find easyjet much helpful but hopefully you will be ok. I always try to fly when I know DD will sleep and it always works. I have flied a lot with her as I am from Spain but live in England and I cannot say I have ever had a bad flight. Last time (6 weeks ago) She fell sleep 20 minutes after taking off and I had to wake her up when we landed so there is an example of how things can go (it has always been like this) She is 22 months old and she has been in a plane I would say 7 times already.

Take some food with you, it always work with my daughter, don't worry if he will be full for lunch time it is very helpful to keeo them busy and do not get a chance to complain because their mouth is full.

Usually DD needs a couple of days to adjust everytime we go, so just relax and do not worry too much. You will notice also that times to go to sleep or to wake up may change but once you are back it will go back to normal.

So enjoy your holidays

Newbabynewmum Wed 25-May-11 23:11:09

Just to let u know you get no priority with Ryan air if you haven't bought it. You just have to queue with everyone else. Make sure u remember their policy of only having 1 piece of hand luggage - although when I flew home from Dublin with my 6mo DD I gave them such an evil stare I don't think they dared ask me about it! It wont be too bad I'm sure, just go over prepared with food and entertainment! Enjoy ur holiday x

everyspring Wed 25-May-11 23:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everyspring Wed 25-May-11 23:17:33

gillybean2 Thu 26-May-11 06:45:24

If they have a lot of trollys then try and get a window seat. You're less likely to get bashed or have to keep moving for passengers who want to get in and out. You/he can also lean against it ds sleeps. Does he have his own seat or will he be on your lap?

Ettylou Thu 26-May-11 07:42:31

Thank you all. Gillybean2, he is on my lap! If I can keep him there hmm
I have had to book Ryanair as I am flying from Brno in the Czech Republic to Alicante Spain & they are the only ones that do this route in the whole of the CR! Luckily after our stay in Spain we're flying back to the UK so we can go for a better airline, maybe Easyjet as Mareta suggested smile
xxx

Ettylou Thu 26-May-11 08:26:52

Also do you know if his buggy will come out on the usual bag reclaim belt or the excess baggage one? Or (fingers crossed) might it be on the tarmac as we get off the plane??
Thanks again x

everyspring Thu 26-May-11 13:34:23

Mareta Thu 26-May-11 18:16:28

forgot to mention that if you have a sling for the baby it is even more helpful than the buggy. At least that is my experience. Sometimes with low cost airlines you have to go through a lot if stairs and if there is not anyone there to help you it can be a pain.

I always check the buggy and it is something less that I have to worry about it knowing that DD likes to walk around having to add hand luggage and buggy it can be to much. Sling is pretty good to carry her and have both hands free for a lot of other things you may need. I don't know if your son likes it but my DD still loves it and we use it a lot even now.

Be also prepare for very hot weather at the moment. And remember to give him plenty if water once you are there grin

Ettylou Thu 26-May-11 18:50:02

Lovely thanks ladies xx

mo3g Thu 26-May-11 19:00:20

Have just come back from spain with 3 dd's with Ryan air and they were fab very helpful my dd 2 walked about and they were all very kind to her. We took our buggy up to the plane steps and it was there at the bottom of the steps waiting for me on the way there and back. The staff were all very friendly and helpful was dreading flying with them after hearing a few horror stories but cant fault them in anyway. Good luck with the flight

Ettylou Fri 27-May-11 11:43:11

Oh that has made me feel so much better, thank you so much Mo3g xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: