Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you get to meet other single mums?

(83 Posts)
fizzyhead Sat 08-Jan-11 20:18:14

Hi Everyone,

My husband leaving soon and the thought of being bored/lonely really scares me. Most of my friends happily married. I need to meet other mums like me, who are up to having a good laugh, meeting for a glass of wine, dinner, chat, heart to hearts, etc.

other mums who will not stay at home feeling sorry for themselves, who will put up a brave front and who will show their ex's that their lives are going somewhere.

Anyone knows whether there is a website which puts single mummies in contact?

I'd really appreciate your advice?

thank you so much!!!

Anngeree Sat 08-Jan-11 21:37:37

Hi fizzyhead,
You don't say how old your child/ren are but if you click on the local tab at the top of this page there may be some mums in the same situation as you that are able to meet up.
I'm a single parent and I found going to playgroups helped me meet a few mum's in the same situation ds is 7 now & i've stayed in contact and become good friends with a girl I met at playgroup. If your child/ren are older there's plenty of parents at school that will be in the same situation. Try going to your local library they often run parent and child groups or may have info about organisations in your area where you can meet new people.

Mummalish Sun 09-Jan-11 08:35:57

fizzyhead, whereabouts are you? I am in London and am in touch with some single mums.

Would love to get in touch. x

missindependent Sun 09-Jan-11 15:20:06

I've been a single mum for over a decade but I know very few single mums. I doubt I'd have much in common with someone just because we're both single parents. Most of my friends are those I've met through shared interests or adult education classes.

fizzyhead Sun 09-Jan-11 22:20:25

hi Mummalish!

I'm in London too! I live in Wandsworth, Balham/Tooting area.

Missindependent, I know what you mean about being a single mother not being a ground for friendship, but maybe neither is having a boy of 2, or living in Bristol, and yet mums seek each other all the time as that small fact about themselves happens to be the biggest issue of that period of their lives.....

I'm new to this, DH hasn't even left yet, he is still very much living here (although looking for a flat sad) but I'm single whether he is here or not. I don't want to stay home while he moves to his bachelor pad, I need to do something, I don't want to feel lonely, not to have plans.... I want my daughters to see me getting on with things, making new friends, going out for a drink, continue being the possitive mummy they are used to, coming home with stories to tell......

I need to know how other ladies have done it, gone from being so sad to getting on with their new lives.

Mummalish? Where are you based? Would love to hear from you and your friends!!!!

Big hug from Fizzyhead!

xxxxxxxxx

HellinArcher Sun 09-Jan-11 22:25:13

fizzy, I have PMd you - I started a group in Battersea last year <<eyes Mummalish - wonders if she is in our group already>> and you'd be welcome to join!

fizzyhead Sun 09-Jan-11 22:58:19

HI HellinArcher!

Already replied to your email! grin

Looking forward to hearing more about it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BEAUTlFUL Sun 09-Jan-11 23:38:58

Oooh, can I join in too? I'm not far from Battersea. Would LOVE to meet other single mums - my friends round here are lovely but married!

fizzyhead Sun 09-Jan-11 23:53:32

Welcome Beautiful and Spot on, my friends are married too!!!!

HellinArcher, would you mail Beautiful too?

I can't believe it, but this is getting to become quite a successful thread! smile

Big Fizzy hug to all of you

xxxx

BEAUTlFUL Mon 10-Jan-11 09:39:14

smile

lowercase Mon 10-Jan-11 09:58:39

i can get a train direct to battersea...
im in Surrey.

can i join? grin

BEAUTlFUL Mon 10-Jan-11 09:59:43

lowercase where are you in Surrey? I'm near Kingston

lowercase Mon 10-Jan-11 11:31:41

im near Purley, near Croydon...

wish i was near kingston envy

Nevereatyellowsnow Mon 10-Jan-11 11:43:29

Anyone in or near Brighton? I'd love to meet some other single mums

cloudedview Mon 10-Jan-11 11:55:41

hi... is south London a single mums hot spot?! I am in Peckham Rye East Dulwich and can get over to B'sea/Clapham very easily if you arrange a meet up... same here with lovely married friends situation.

HellinArcher Mon 10-Jan-11 15:30:43

how exciting, I will pm everyone and take it from there. got a night out coming up soon!

lowercase Mon 10-Jan-11 16:00:38

sticking my oar in, but we could do a valentine something?

beingsetup Mon 10-Jan-11 17:23:31

Im in central london but its only 20 mins across the river.... and I would love to meet other single mothers too

BEAUTlFUL Mon 10-Jan-11 18:25:04

Ha ha, a Valentine's thing would be great! Let's go and laugh jadedly at all the couples having dinner. "Oh yes, he says he loves you now. Just you wait..."

Er, or something nice and normal. Ahem.

MABS Mon 10-Jan-11 18:33:01

come to our Brighton meet up? 29 Jan, defo some are single mums.

cloudedview Mon 10-Jan-11 20:06:02

Beautiful - your post cracked me up -I am sitting here laughing to myself

Nevereatyellowsnow Mon 10-Jan-11 20:41:44

Thanks MABS, where is the meetup? Is the information on here somewhere?

MABS Mon 10-Jan-11 21:18:17

in meet up section under Brighton meet up i think. 29 Jan at 1.30 las iguanas restaurant x

MABS Mon 10-Jan-11 21:19:16

just checked, it called Brighton New Year Meet up

Nevereatyellowsnow Mon 10-Jan-11 22:22:09

Thanks MABS, I've posted on there xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now