Advanced search

Studying at Home

(6 Posts)
LeilaCole Tue 04-Jan-11 14:20:58

Hi everyone, this is my first post

I'm 17 with a six month old daughter and because I had to leave school just after doing my GCSEs I don't have any A Levels.

My daughter wasn't planned and I always wanted to continue with my education but I'm living on my own at the moment so I can't go back to school or even do classes because I've got no one to look after my daughter.

Does anyone know if there's any way I can study and take my A Levels at home? Just hopefully without paying too much because money's a bit tight at the moment.

Thanks everyone

gillybean2 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:43:15

I did an open university course at home when my ds was small. I did have to attend some evening classes (not many) and it was funded as I was on income support at the time. If you have friends or family close by who could babysit of an evening if necessary then you may be ok.

I don't think you need a levels to do some of their courses, maybe take a look at their website and see if there's anything that fits what you need.

The other thing you can try is adult learning. Your local council should produce a broucher of what is available in your area. You usually get reduced rates or free even if on certain benefits or for specific courses (basic english and maths are always free in my area for example). Some offer a creche at certain times, but only usually during the day). Again may be an option. Search for adult educations courses and your county council name, or just go straight to their website. You should find more info there.

Good luck, it's not easy but it is worth it.

nameymacnamechanger Wed 05-Jan-11 17:33:08

Good post gillybean, pretty much what I was going to post so I've been saved a job! grin

I'm studying my first OU course at the moment and finding it fine to fit into studies. I know my local authority do lots of courses and some even offer free creche/childcare places, as do my local children's centres (for now anyway).

Hope you find soemthing suitable for you and your circumstances, I'm finding it a good confidence boost to know I'm continuing my studies.

LovePinkBitsOfMyHorse Wed 05-Jan-11 17:40:18

Have you tried connexions? They should have a young parent adviser (I think).

pickgo Wed 05-Jan-11 19:45:49

You can definitely take A levels at home. Could try ringing your local Sixth Form or Further Education college for advice. You can also do AS 1 & 2 in a year.
you might enjoy getting a bit of a break from DD while you study and it might be a bit less stressful to not attempt to do studying around her? Not totally sure but I think you can claim help with childcare while you study if you are under 18. I think you can get either vouchers or a free nursery place. Best place for advice I should think would be a Citizens Advice Bureau.
But a big well done you for wanting to do it in the first place!
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

pickgo Wed 05-Jan-11 19:54:07

Or there's this campaign=course_awards&group=a_level_hctr&gclid=CK iosdPqo6YCFUYe4QodQz5gaA.

The other route you could take would be to apply to an FE college hardship fund for childcare costs and other costs associated with going to college eg bus fares, books etc.
Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: