Talk

Advanced search

Went to see the GP today and have been given ADs

(6 Posts)
SingleMumAndProud Tue 07-Dec-10 20:11:37

Just an update really for those of you who have read my threads and know I have been feeling very down. I saw a GP today as I have been feeling like I always miserable and can't cope with it all.

I have, from today been put on anti-depressants. He said the next 2 weeks will probably be very difficult and I will probably feel worse but then I should feel better after that. He said I will probably need them for at least 6 months. After 2 weeks I need to go back and see him.

I must say, it wasn't as scary as I thought. I burst into tears in the first sentence of explaining it but he was really understanding and talked things though with me.

lowercase Tue 07-Dec-10 23:11:21

hi.

havent read your threads but i have been on AD's for a few months and feel like i have some of my strength back.

wish i had done it before but hey-ho!

all the best

TrappedinSuburbia Tue 07-Dec-10 23:16:25

I always burst into tears before I ever got one word out when I needed AD's, they really can lift the fog so to speak, so good for you for going, it's very hard to make the appointment and drag yourself in there.

My GP said AD's should be put in the water supply.

Good luck x

SingleMumAndProud Tue 07-Dec-10 23:37:13

Thank you both. Nice to know I am not the only one.

Can I ask how you both found the first couple of weeks? He said I would probably feel worse, which I am not too sure I can handle!

Also - can you drink alcohol on AD? I might the odd night out? I had planned a night out on sat which I really need. I haven't had a proper night out in 4 years!!!

lowercase Tue 07-Dec-10 23:46:06

you are advised not to drink on mine (fluoxetine) i think it wipes the medication.

go out, but dont drink, or start the meds on sunday?

the tablets made me feel quite ill physically at first (nauseous, muscle pain) but i stuck with it and after a month felt normal (able to fully cope) for the first time in years.

and, no, you are not the only one.
since admitting the depression / AD's around 10 people i know have also said they are on / were on them.

they practically are in the water supply round here!

ChippingIn Tue 07-Dec-10 23:51:07

It's good you have gone to the GP

I haven't taken AD's but I do know (from here!!) that it can be worse for the first couple of weeks, including insomnia - but that if you just hang in there it really does get better quite soon and it's worth it.

My friend is on AD's and does drink, but tbh I wouldn't until you are a bit more sorted out with them, certainly not the first couple of weeks, so if you really want to drink on Saturday, I wouldn't start them till Monday, but if it was me, I'd rather start them now and not drink when I'm out on Saturday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now