Talk

Advanced search

Eviction notice.....not good..

(6 Posts)
Smileyo Sat 27-Nov-10 23:58:10

Hi
A friend of mine who is a LP has been served an eviction notice by the council due to arrears being incurred on her rent . I promised her that i will try and seek some help where i can sad. The bailiffs will be round this Thursday, she has 2 children - 12 and 4 year old. She is attending court this Tuesday in hope that they will allow her to stay on reasonable grounds whereby she can pay off her arrears on a monthly basis. Can the council just evict you without the care of where the tennent and her children stay in the future?

Niceguy2 Sun 28-Nov-10 08:15:25

Well firstly why hasn't she been paying the rent?

You can't expect the council to allow her not to pay rent. If they let her off, everyone else would feel they could not pay too.

halfa Sun 28-Nov-10 08:41:19

Need more info before i give advice.

Whats her arrears? How many months? Has she been paying some or none? Have the council tried to communicate with her and shes ignored them? Or has she written to them explaining her difficuties and offering a payment plan?

Janos Sun 28-Nov-10 22:46:18

How many months is she in arrears and has she had previous letters from the council?

Is the notice actually stating she will be evicted or just that she might be if she doesn't contact them to sort out payments?

IME things have to be pretty far down the line befor eviction is seriously threatened.

maledetta Mon 29-Nov-10 13:10:18

That does sound a little strange. I second Janos- she should have been given several chances to pay her arrears off before the threat of eviction. Does she not cope well with paperwork/official stuff? Maybe you could help her with this?

If she actually is evicted the council should have a duty to house her and her kids- but it could well be in a nasty B&B.

But it shouldn't come to this if she is willing to communicate with the council and work out a payment plan.

Decentdragon Mon 29-Nov-10 21:23:22

Your friend needs to urgently phone this number: 0808 800 4444 (Shelter, not just for the already homeless, they’re very good and they’re free) and they will give her the exact advice she needs according to her situation. If you want to help her, then encourage her to get all/any paperwork she’s received together, so she has it to hand for the call, and if there’s been lots of things done on the phone, to write down a chronology.

I suspect your friend has actually been served an application for possession notice, which is what is used to then evict. The quickest way of getting a court to put this on hold is to have a sensible plan of how she will pay of her arrears.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: