Talk

Advanced search

Right... Potential first Meet from POF... Advice?

(15 Posts)
crace Mon 08-Nov-10 19:33:51

I haven't dated in 10 years, gah that makes me feel old.. Been talking to a chap in POF and tentative coffee and cinema trip in a weekend or two.. So advice, what do you do?? I've not Internet dated before either so it's all rather confusing!

smokinfireworks Mon 08-Nov-10 19:43:42

Meet somewhere public, tell a friend, have a "ring in" time with said friend (to check you are safe and whether you need an excuse to leave a crap date!!)

I have met a couple. Both for coffee, one we then went for dinner. I would say personally I prefer the short date first, cinema etc second - just so I dont have to sit next to them through a film if they're really not for me!!

But above all, enjoy it. Its scary, but worth it!

crace Mon 08-Nov-10 20:03:15

Yes, true- he suggested the cinema, makes it sound more of a friends type thing which is fine! I suggested a coffee first only to meet each other first! As you say, so neither of us are stuck.

Is a phone call beforehand necessary/advisable?

smokinfireworks Mon 08-Nov-10 20:27:27

what a phone call to the date? I didnt, texts yes, but hadnt actually "spoken" to them until we met up

readywithwellies Mon 08-Nov-10 21:37:33

Hmm, I really don't like dates to the cinema. You can watch telly at home, on your own, you need to get to know this man. How can you do that watching a film?
I think men who suggest the cinema are a little misguided, or really boring!

readywithwellies Mon 08-Nov-10 21:38:34

P.S. Good luck on your date crace. I met my dp through pof. He is lovely, there are some good ones out there.

crace Mon 08-Nov-10 21:40:29

Wellies, this worries me too... Either boring, or he might just be shy and suggested something I said I was looking forward to doing now I had some free time... Only one way to tell!

ginodacampoismydh Mon 08-Nov-10 21:44:34

no to cinema for sure, meet for coffee is enough if you get on maybe walk to a very close pub?

i would give him the benifit of the doubt though maybe he hasnt dated for a while either and didnt know what to suggest. have fun grin

readywithwellies Mon 08-Nov-10 21:50:44

Crace, don't overanalyse, go to the cinema. It is the obvious date choice and like you said, he is probably as nervous as you. My dp got out of his car and was visibly shaking. I thought, oh God, I have picked a right one here.
I also thought, hmm, that boot is big enough to bundle me into, better not get too close. grin
You may have to go on a few dates but it is all experience and you may find someone special

crace Tue 09-Nov-10 09:04:43

Hmmm... yes, true. Will just try to enjoy myself - its been years since I've seen a film!

Wellies - fab story about DP... very cute now, no doubt.. worrying at the time!

Thanks for the advice everyone, it does help -I am quite nervous starting all this rubbish again!

readywithwellies Tue 09-Nov-10 23:45:10

I was nervous too, crace, I had been with my exh for 10 years. Was not easy, but I figured the longer you leave it, the harder it will get.
Don't make too much effort, just be yourself and if he turns up then it is a success. Any more than that, your expectations are too high.

luceeloo Wed 10-Nov-10 06:17:49

Good luck crace. I have my first Internet date tonight ahh! We've spent about 8 hours (!) in total talking on the phone which certainly helped me but I'm still so nervous. We are going to a bar but both will be driving so won't drink so I know I can't lose any inabitions. Make sure he travels to you you'll feel safer in a public place you know well. Look it's 6.15am and I'm awake - nearly 12 hours to get ready! Gonna need it I haven't been on a date for 3.5 years. Wish me luck!

JaquiChan Wed 10-Nov-10 15:20:06

luceeloo, good luck for tonight...oh and you must report in as soon as you get back grin.

loonies Wed 10-Nov-10 15:25:17

FRUIT SHOOT

crace Wed 10-Nov-10 20:58:20

Luceeloo, good luck!

See we've not talked on the phone and doubt we will.. Is there a formula to successful Internet dating?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: