Talk

Advanced search

I could just cry.. can anyone help re: tax credits?

(20 Posts)
crace Fri 05-Nov-10 09:51:38

I have applied, over 3 weeks ago - phoned Monday and apparently there will be a letter sent, though they can't tell me what it says, and no idea when I will get it.

So it's now Friday - what is happening? They can't tell me anything on the phone. Does that mean I have been turned down?

I need help asap, this wait is killing me - I can't look at rentals until I find out one way or another and I hate that this amongst everything else I am on hold for.

AHHHH

DooinMeCleanin Fri 05-Nov-10 09:53:43

Is there any reason why you would be turned down? i.e. are you on a high income?

The TC customer service is shite. It wouldn't surprise me if you recieve your first few payments before you recieve your reward notice.

crace Fri 05-Nov-10 10:35:39

No, sadly not - am a childminder - barely any income. I am hoping they just need some information, but the unknown is killing me. One stress too many.

single1ds Fri 05-Nov-10 15:00:31

Crace
know the feeling it is SOO frustrating dealing with them. i remember when i first applied they told me when i would receive the first payment and how much it would be. i am suprised it is taking them this long. I would suggest calling them back as they gave me info over the phone. alternatively call the charity Gingerbread they are very helpful and they will work out how much you will get aswell, only they will def. tell you the info. keep strong x

CheerfulV Fri 05-Nov-10 15:16:10

It's common to get the money before the notification telling you that you're entitled, iyswim. So keep checking your bank. Massive sympathies, because I know how stressful it can be at the outset not knowing.

plupervert Fri 05-Nov-10 15:24:44

Sorry I can't help practically, but bumping for you, with sympathy.

gillybean2 Fri 05-Nov-10 16:30:29

Letters generally take at least 2 weeks to arrive from when they are sent.

Are your accounts up to date? Did you supply your latest Tax Return/Accounts with your application?
They may well need more info if you sumbitted figures that relate to a previous year or are estimates.

BEAUTlFUL Fri 05-Nov-10 18:24:01

I've always found the TC customer service really, really helpful and nice! The statement letters, on the other hand, are incomprehensible.

I got my money way before the letter.

ohsleepyone Fri 05-Nov-10 19:45:07

I also got the money before i recvd the letter, and on the few times i called them i was on hold for 25mins each time!!! If u read the forms properly and gave all the sufficient evidence then there shouldnt be any reason why you'd be turned down.

unfortunately it seems patience is needed, and as cheerful said keep checking your bank, good luck!!

mamas12 Fri 05-Nov-10 20:26:49

Go to CAB they have a hotline to the managers dept. and get things sorted pretty quickly

nottirednow Fri 05-Nov-10 20:29:13

Message withdrawn

mumsanutter Fri 05-Nov-10 20:29:43

Crace,

when you rang up to apply were you given a figure then? and did you ask for it to be backdated?

Only reason I ask is that this is what I did after h left, and the money was paid into my account beofre I received the letter and I remember it was a wednesday. Please try to ring back and talk to some one else, the person I spoke to was amazing. It did take 4 weeks from me posting the form off to get the payment, so hopefully you will get a nice surprise on wednesday

lolabanola Fri 05-Nov-10 22:18:16

I also applied for tax credits about 4 weeks ago - I phoned up today to ask whether my application form has been successful as I have heard nothing from them and was told that they couldn't process my application as I hadn't put my child benefit number on the form ... I was so angry! Why could they not not have wrote to me or phoned me sooner and told me that the application was incomplete?! So, still waiting to see if I will get the tax credits, only good thing is that they do backdate!

Boobalina Fri 05-Nov-10 22:55:30

Its taking ages at the mo as they had to do all the readjusting for 18 year old kids, turning 18.

I got a backdated sum and then a letter after 4 weeks - just be patient or phone again at around 7.30pm

girliefriend Thu 11-Nov-10 20:21:24

I think there is a problem with the tax credits at the mo as I rang them in sept to tell them about change in circumstances and have still not heard anything in writting from them. Resent having to chase it up as it never is a quick phone call!!

crace Thu 11-Nov-10 21:28:45

Still not heard anything from them.. this is ridiculous. Am going to phone them tomorrow morning, but I feel like I can't move on until I know what's happening!

crace Mon 15-Nov-10 10:10:43

I just phoned and as it's "well over the 3 week target" it's being escalated to team leader. Huh.. impressed? No? Me either.

xxhunnyxx Mon 15-Nov-10 10:34:43

Sorry but it does take a while to process your application, when my DS was born it was about 2 months before I recieved any money.

However, if u just need to know how munch money u are goin to be getting, u can find out on the website, I've found it to be pretty accurate.

crace Mon 15-Nov-10 12:29:20

It's been 6 weeks, sadly but they lead me to believe that more information was required, which is fine but they need to get moving on that!

xxhunnyxx Mon 15-Nov-10 15:01:04

They're totally crap, they don't seem to care that u may not have any money to actually live on.
My friend once rang to let them know about a change of circumstances and they stopped paying her for months whilst they recalculated her payments leaving her pennyless.
I don't know what the answer is, maybe ask to speak to a manager about it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now