Talk

Advanced search

Lunch venue recommendations:

(16 Posts)
nobutreally Thu 18-Jan-18 08:46:33

We are looking to take a relative out for a nice meal: my parents generation (so 70s), but very spritely/lively/fun person - always up for an adventure! It's a thank-you meal and is likely to be either a lunch or feasibly an afternoon tea.

Ideally somewhere where the building/surroundings itself are interesting: and I'd probably prefer something modern to traditional just as they are less likely to have been there already. Probably not too wacky in terms of food itself, but quirky would be totally acceptable. Budget tbc, but mid-high. Needs to be fairly central.

Any ideas/suggestions...?

mumpoints Thu 18-Jan-18 08:57:49

Shard? Certainly an adventure.
www.the-shard.com/restaurants/

Mad Hatter's Tea at Sanderson (just noticed there's 30% off in January) www.morganshotelgroup.com/originals/originals-sanderson-london/eat-drink/mad-hatters-afternoon-tea

nobutreally Thu 18-Jan-18 08:59:59

Yes, I did wonder about the shard - I’ve heard good things from people who’ve been there and don’t think we have any vertigo sufferers in the party ;-)

mumpoints Thu 18-Jan-18 09:06:51

The Shard has such a variety of restaurants also. I have a feeling that you have to pay extra (even if you have paid for a full meal in one of the restaurants) to go to the viewing platform. Worth checking.

nobutreally Thu 18-Jan-18 09:38:05

Yes, I suspect you are right having had a quick look: thanks.

Mad hatters tea party I think feels a bit too kiddish for this time - although I've considered it for the kids in the past. I THINK I feel that if we did tea we have to go trad - although I have just been tempted by the momo offering....

mumpoints Thu 18-Jan-18 10:52:18

Fortnum's?

We used to always do Harrods for a cream tea but haven't been for ages so don't know what it's like these days.

nobutreally Thu 18-Jan-18 12:16:48

I'm a loyal Claridges girl, mumpoints, but it needs booking soooo far in advance (& we would need a weekend date) - F&M is certainly an options although I've heard mixed reviews, tbh...

Bumping for any other ideas :-)

SmiledWithTheRisingSun Sun 11-Feb-18 10:57:50

Zedel's?

https://www.brasseriezedel.com]]

Backingvocals Sun 11-Feb-18 11:00:56

The Wolseley. So gorgeous inside and buzzy.

Aridane Sun 11-Feb-18 11:08:39

Was going to have suggested Claridges for afternoon tea.

They also used to do a brunch, if that’s an option

dirtywindows Sun 11-Feb-18 15:22:51

Shard was great for breakfast but I thought their afternoon tea was poor as I'm afraid was f&m's. Love Berkeley's afternoon tea that's themed to seasons fashions. If you don't mind not drinking alcohol then lunch at clink restaurant in Brixton prison?

rose69 Wed 14-Feb-18 19:28:09

I second the Wolsey for afternoon tea. If you go into Bookatable you can usually get a good deal for lunch. Have fun

beansbananas Wed 14-Feb-18 20:11:07

I was go by to say the wolseley too. Otherwise you could try somewhere like Scott's

Drinaballerina Wed 14-Feb-18 20:16:01

Oxo tower is nice for lunch. I also love Browns for afternoon tea!

retirednow Sun 18-Feb-18 13:04:22

The globe theatre do a lovely afternoon tea and you've got the Tate next door

nbxo Sun 18-Feb-18 18:46:11

They do double decker bus tours and you have afternoon tea on board. quite cool

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: