Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in London for good primary schools and sense of community?

(8 Posts)
Londonmamabychance Sun 05-Nov-17 18:46:40

Pls hit me with suggestions. DD have to start school Jan 2018. Also have DS 1 yer old. Currently living on Isle of Dogs, but not in catchment for schools we like. So would have to move anyway. Both I and DH work in central (Soho and Knightsbridge) and don't want too long a commute.

Can spend around £1700 max on renting and happy with a two bed. Would love a garden.

Used to live in Bethnal Green and since moving to Isle of Dogs, quite miss the vibrancy and community feeling there. Would love to find another place with a similar vibe, more shops and cafes and little green spaces etc, than what I find at Isle of Dogs. Not too bothered by what some people might find over population or immigrants (being one myself ;)).

Am thinking about Walthamstove, Leyton, Wanstead (but think it may be too expensive) or even Blackheath or Greenwich. Am open to all of London though, but think all of west answer North would be too expensive...any suggestions?

Popkids Sun 05-Nov-17 20:06:02

Come down to Crystal Palace. CP has a great community spirit with lots of activities and community projects going on, really good schools and lots of green space.

bettytaghetti Mon 13-Nov-17 18:55:00

I'm in Blackheath and there are 3 bed Span houses on the Cator Estate that are within your budget and in the catchment area for Brooklands Primary school. Lots of young families live in those houses/apartments and so there is a good family vibe. Here's an example
Good luck OP!

peachypetite Mon 13-Nov-17 18:57:30

Chingford is near the areas you have mentioned and fits your bill.

MummyInTheNecropolis Mon 13-Nov-17 19:06:27

Crystal Palace/Penge/Anerley fit your requirements, easy commute to central London, good schools, green spaces (Crystal Palace park is amazing.) You could get a 3 bed house for your budget: www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-68987348.html

BillyAndTheSillies Mon 13-Nov-17 19:25:37

Highly recommend Leytonstone, prefer it over Leyton and still on the central line before the split.

Thesqueezermustghost Mon 13-Nov-17 19:29:43

Soho.

Londonmamabychance Mon 13-Nov-17 23:15:24

Haha, Soho sounds ideal.

Yes was also cosidering Leytonstone.

Black Heath, cosdidered it before. It thought it was too expansive? Also, is it a bit more conservative? Hit me with all stereotypes, pls ; )

Anerly, is it nice? And Penge?

I haven't been in CP for over 6 years, last time I went it felt a bit sort of dead, has it changed? Just had this v v quiet feeling when I was there, v suburban, and thought the trains from there are quite infrequent?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now