Talk

Advanced search

Good communities for an Arab Muslim family in London?

(12 Posts)
DIbrahim89 Mon 15-May-17 02:11:22

We're a Syrian family, however for the last 7 years (and the whole of our children's lives) we have been expatriates in Istanbul, Turkey and later Doha, Qatar. We have three children, a 6 year old daughter and twin boys who are 4 years old. We're moving to London and we plan on staying here for quite awhile.

We would like to live in a community with a strong Muslim (and Arab) population, good schools, safety, and space — we don't want to be cramped and we would like a garden. It's also important that we won't experience hatred or bigotry in society.

Three bedrooms is what we need in a home, and three thousand pounds monthly is what we would like to spend. Please help!

Rubymay Mon 15-May-17 02:25:04

Hi Dibrahim89, i do not live in London, I live here in sunny north east Ireland, I hope you find a wonderful community for you & your family in London. When I lived there the east end was very welcoming for all types of backgrounds, I assume if you contact different mosques in london they may be able to recommend areas that have a big Muslim community. Wishing you & your family all the best.

Smitff Mon 15-May-17 02:29:08

Times have changed since I last lived in London but from memory the biggest Arab Muslim community was around Marble Arch. No chance of a house with garden for £3k there these days.

TBH, a 3 bedroom house with good schools is going to be quite deep into the suburbs. And I'm not sure how far the diaspora spreads. There will be pockets, but probably nothing huge.

Good luck with your search!

Rachel555rachel Mon 15-May-17 11:31:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DIbrahim89 Mon 15-May-17 11:49:10

@Rachel555Rachel

You're a contemptible bigot who "learned" all their information about the fastest growing way of life on earth from bigoted memes. Have fun being terrified of modern society, where Muslims exist.

You should be in jail for race hatred.

Kursk Mon 15-May-17 11:55:22

This thread s going down hill quicker than normal.

OP my knowledge of London is old but Ham had a Muslim community as far as I remember.

reetgood Mon 15-May-17 13:36:48

I saw the deleted comment - sorry about that op. One of the delights of London is that there are many londons within it. I think it would be possible to live without having to deal with sentiments expressed in deleted post. It's been a few years since I lived there, but Edgware Road from Marble Arch running up to Barnet springs to mind. I spent all of my time living in south east London though so it's not that familiar to me. I know some folks who live in Ham and love it - not sure about Muslim community though.

Am wondering if you might get some good up to date tips by contacting some cultural organisations or expat groups on Facebook? Quick google threw up the Arab British Centre who have an interesting programme. They might be able to signpost for you.

AntigoneJones Mon 15-May-17 13:38:42

Another one who came on to say Edgware Road, although it would be expensive to live there, you might get some good contacts there.

pineapplesquash Mon 15-May-17 13:49:16

OP, most of suburban London is extremely comfortable with diversity. You're probably better off looking at schools and working backwards from there. Schools in my area are a nightmare and hugely oversubscribed, although the oldest mosque in London is nearby smile Good luck with your move.

Davros Mon 15-May-17 15:01:23

South Kilburn seems to have a fairly large Muslim community and Somerstown (between Euston and Camden). There's usually a level of muslims in most neighbourhoods, I'm not sure which are the biggest other than Tower Hamlets or Edgware Road. I hope you find somewhere suitable that you like. Do come back and tell us

icclemunchy Mon 15-May-17 15:04:42

There is a huge Muslim population in southall

We're close to (although not in) southall and you would get a 3 bed with a garden easily for that amount round here and transport links are good

Davros Tue 16-May-17 10:57:36

In my day, Southall was largely Hindu and Sikh, maybe it's changed. Harrow and Wembley also have large Indian communities

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now