Talk

Advanced search

Watching the virgin London marathon

(10 Posts)
mckenzie Fri 31-Mar-17 12:46:49

I've watched a few times but as an official volunteer.
This year I'd like to go and watch with my daughter and I'd appreciate some advise on good places to stand.

slug Fri 31-Mar-17 12:56:03

We live near Greenwich so are at the red start every year. Once they have all gone through the start, it's a shortish walk through the park and down the hill to watch them go around the Cutty Sark.

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Fri 31-Mar-17 12:59:51

I live near Deptford and watch as they come down Evelyn St. It's easy to get a good view & you don't need to be holding your place for hours beforehand.

mckenzie Fri 31-Mar-17 16:45:45

Thanks for the replies. I'm coming from north of the river so I should be able to find good sites that side to make the travelling easier huh?

TriJo Wed 12-Apr-17 00:14:33

We usually go to around the mile 25 mark near Embankment. Usually get there just in time for the elites.

silverwire Tue 18-Apr-17 15:15:36

Sorry to jump on your post mckenzie I've just been searching a similar question as coming with 9yo DD to watch my husband run. We've decided to try and see him twice in Isle of Dogs/Canary Wharf area; but tempted to go south of the river too - how easy is it to get back across do you know? Empress is there a DLR station in Deptford?

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 18-Apr-17 16:05:19

Yes Silver, Deptford Bridge, but it's a bit of a walk from there to the marathon. If you get the DLR to Greenwich and then get a train to Deptford, the journey's slightly longer but then you come out halfway up the High Street & it's just a short walk up to the corner where the runners go past.

silverwire Tue 18-Apr-17 16:56:51

Ah thanks Empress thats helpful. I've got my map out again and trying to make a plan! Might go a bit further along and then tube from Canada Water across to Canary Wharf. Or just stick to north of the river after all. Decisions, decisions.....confused

EmpressOfTheSpartacusOceans Tue 18-Apr-17 17:54:01

grin Good luck to your DH, wherever you end up watching!

LadyEastEnd Sat 22-Apr-17 14:27:08

Come out of Wapping or Shadwell overground stations, then walk to the Highway. If you stand somewhere near St Georges Pools you will get to see runners in both directions at miles 13 and 22 (I think). There are nice cafes and pubs on the Wapping side of the route also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now