Talk

Advanced search

Research on home-schooling and working Parents:trials, joys and tribulations

(3 Posts)
HelenatUlster Tue 21-Apr-20 16:40:20

Hope you had a good Easter break. And Hope you don’t mind me post this research promotion message here.

My colleagues and I at Ulster University are planning to conduct a small-scale research on home-schooling and working parents during Covid-19. We’d like to recruit working parents to be part of our research.

There’s some information about the project.

Are you a working parent and home schooling? Would you like to take part in a study about home schooling during COVID-19? If so, researchers at Ulster University would like to hear from you. They aim to collect data from working parents, connecting through WhatsApp and Twitter, to gather a picture of parents’ experiences during the spread of the virus. They would like to hear your views on the highs and lows of home schooling and how this particularly unusual time in your lives impacts on your family’s emotional journey over the next eight weeks. Please copy and paste the following link into a web browser if you are interested in taking part.

The link: bit.ly/COVID_Join

Many thanks for your attention.We look forward to your participation.

Cheers, Helen x

OP’s posts: |
SansaSnark Wed 22-Apr-20 11:06:10

If you're doing a research study, surely you should make a distinction between "home schooling" and "remote learning".

Home schooling means that the parents have deregistered the child and are fully responsible for their education- so Covid-19 won't have affected this.

Most children are completing work being set by schools- parents aren't planning the activities and the school still maintains some responsibility for the children's education- so it's a completely different thing.

HelenatUlster Wed 22-Apr-20 12:01:25

Hi Sansa,

Thanks for pointing that out. You are quite right about the definition of home school.

Our research is indeed contextualised to focus on children learning at home during Covid-19. Home-schooling has been a widely used and accepted term in research on the impact of a pandemic. So it's more like an umbrella term that we use.

Helen

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in